Computer turning ON by itself?

alexyu

This happened two times. I left my computer Hibernate mode, and, after 14-15 hours, it turned on without anyone touching it -- lol.
The second time I was staring at it when it happened :eek:
Any ideas?
I'm a bit spooked

Aastii

VIP Member
This is just a wild guess, but as hibernate stores the information in your memory, not your HDD(that is what sleep does) it may, after a while, get to a point where it goes "oy, i need more power to keep this" so turns on.

Slightly on, slightly off topic, I would just shut the system down and not use hibernate, in so much as disable it to free hard drive space. Whatever your memory size is, so if you have 4GB of memory for instance, it will use 4GB of empty space even when NOT hibernating. I disabled mine yesterday and saved myself 8 GB of space :eek:

wardhanster

why should any one keep a computer in hibernate mode for 14 to 15 hrs if would have been there i would have just saved my work and closed my system....
any way i too think same as aastii said

Hugh9191

*snip* hibernate stores the information in your memory, not your HDD *snip*

It's the other way around, hibernate saves everything from the memory onto the HDD and then switches off whereas sleep puts it all in a low power state. When it's in hibernate it's not using any battery.

But yea, I wouldn't use hibernate as an alternative to shutting down. I'd try shutting down and see if it comes back on by itself then. Also look in the bios and see if there is an automatic power on feature of some sort enabled.

zombine210

i think htpcs use hybernate because you dont' want to wait for it to power on if you need to catch a show or something. also if you have scheduled tasks, like virus scan i imagine it would wake the pc up. i dissabled my hybernate too because it was a annoying.

alexyu

Thanks zombine210, that might be the answer. My antivirus has scheduled scans every day at 14:00.
And to the others, do you really care so much why I choose Hibernate instead of Shut Down?

Hugh9191

The computer can't wake itself when it's in hibernation. Your thinking of sleep.

Hibernating is used when the PC needs to come back on in the same state when it was switched off.