Computer wont turn on after lightning strike.

Geoffrey70

A neighbors tree was struck by lightning Saturday and it got half of the neighborhoods phone lines. After the strike my computer was still running so I shut it down and unplugged it from the wall. Later when I tried to turn it on I’m getting nothing. What are possible things I should check? I’m guessing it may have damaged the motherboard, but it seems odd to me that it stayed running after it got hit. Thanks for your help.

GA-EP45-UD3R
E5200
G Skill DDR2 800
Seagate 250GB HD
Corsair 400w PS

Power was plugged into a surge suppressor, but phone lines were not.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
I would say the surge came in through the phone line and killed your computer that way. Most likely it could just be a bad motherboard, won't know until you start diagnosing with extra parts.

Pleeeease!

I've unfortunately had this issue too many times.

There's a 90% chance that yup, your mobo is gone. Get in there and disconnect EVERYTHING. Only things hooked up should be the power chord to power supply, the power to the mobo, the video cable to the monitor, and your mouse and keyboard. Now you'll know if it's your mobo for sure (it's rare, but sometimes the cpu goes clunk also).

If it doesn't respond then time to replace mobo (probably easiest just to find a combo and get a new mobo with cpu in there). If it does respond then start adding your drives and other peripherals.

Best of luck!

Geoffrey70

Start the process of elimination (Like Johnb35 said)
Pull out the PSU, put in a different one.. stuff like that.

I would love to do that, only problem is I dont have a spare computer to swap parts with. All the parts I'll be replacing will have to be ordered and I'd like to not replace any parts that dont need to be. Thanks though.

Jonyboy

I had lightening roll over this morning and my mac turned on from sleep (something that's happened before when i've turned on a hair dryer). So I thought I best turn it off and unplug it.