Connecting parallel printer to laptop?!

pezza2u

I've just bought meself a dell inspiron 6000 which doesn't have a parallel port.

I have a HP deskjet which has a USB connection so I'm ok for a printer at the moment but I also have a HP laserjet 5 which is parallel only. I have bought a network card for this printer and my question is can I connect it to the laptop using an RJ45 cable to print? How can I set this up?

If not is there any hardware I can buy that will allow me to connect both printers to the laptop like a hub? Or I was thinking of building a small desktop PC to use as a server but it's only for home use so I don't think this is worth it. And please don't say get a newer laserjet printer!! ;)

Cheers

lee101

VIP Member
if it has an ethernet port you should be able to just plug the printer in to your laptop then run the software that came with it [printer]

LaptopExtreme

VIP Member
Well I dont know if you can do that (maybe with a crossover cable), but when a unit comes with a ethernet port, it usually means that it can be hooked up to the network. If youve got a router and multiple computers, you all can connect to the printer through the network. Another option is to get a USB to Parellel converter (something like this).