Control computers volume from a different computer?

massahwahl

VIP Member
Does anyone know if there exists a program that would let me control the volume settings on my main pc from a different computer in my house? My main upstairs computer plays music throughout our house by it is a pain to run upstairs and adjust the volume if its to loud or soft. It would be awesome to have a volume control on my laptop that I could use to adjust it. Ive used logmein in the past but it takes longer to get connected that way than it does to just run upstairs :/

tremmor

not that i know of. On the other hand just use the remote client with windows. It would also be quicker on the lan side.

massahwahl

VIP Member
I tried that but it routes the sound to my connecting computer then i cant adjust the computer on the host. Also, when I log off it logs off the host which stops the music :/

massahwahl

VIP Member
I dont really want to run a USB cable from the second floor of my house to the first :p not only that but I would have to leave it in the same spot.

Gooberman

i'd probably install a remote control client or something aka remote desktop manager intelliadmin and other programs

deanj20

Try RealVNC. I used to use it for the same reason, as well as many other things. No logging off complications like in RDP. Get it here.

EDIT: Alternatively, I suppose you could use a combination of something like Telnet/OpenSSH and a tool like NirCmd to do it via command line. I think VNC would be the easiest solution though.

Last edited:

Flaring Afro

If those don't work you could use viewpoint with 2 accounts. Then you can control the other computer as if you were there.

Also, usb works for a very short length. About 15 feet.