Converting programs crashing my computer!

minfingr

Hey all. I am using WinAvi and/or VSO CovertXtoDVD to convert movies. both cause my computer to crash randomly. and now after i restart and try to restore my wallpaper, the desktop properties freezes when i click on the 'desktop' tab. im not sure if these are related, but they probly are. the problem is a rundll32.exe process. when i end that, it goes away. the error report says something about rundll32.exe as well.

Does anyone know what this problem could be? virus? bad hard drive? ANY help would be really appreciated. thank you..

elitehacker

Are you running windows XP? I think you should disable auto-restart and actually let the blue screen of death show up to see what kind of error code you get.

Jabes

banned
Are you running windows XP? I think you should disable auto-restart and actually let the blue screen of death show up to see what kind of error code you get.

never heard of disabling auto restart do you have to go into the registry editor to do that?

minfingr

well the problem with wallpapers and properties is fine. but my computer still crashes whenever i use winavi or convertxtodvd. i uninstalled all codecs and put only the k-lite codec pack on and it is still doing it. is there anyway to clear all the codecs out of my computer, even the ones i don't know about?

if it's not a codec problem, does anyone else know what the problem may be? ANY help is appreciated. thanks...

Cleric7x9

i dont think it is a codec problem. i dont use those converters that you mentioned above, but is there an efficiency setting? for example, can you set it to low CPU and see if it still crashes? codecs are listed in your add/remove programs section, so you can start there. or you can simply uninstall and reinstall the k-lite pack, and when it asks you if you want to remove all other codecs select 'yes'

minfingr

no, winavi doesn't have any efficiency settings. just quality and encoding settings.

which converters do you use?

Last edited:

minfingr

i completely restored my comp to factory settings and it happened again like nothing changed. when trying to install and uninstall the k-lite codec pack i got this error:

The following DirectShowfilter was detected as broken:

name: Nero AAC Parser
Filename C:\programfiles\common files\ahead\dsfilter\neaudio.ax
clsid: {909c7cec-20a9-4f17-83fc-7ab274aa5fb7}
reg key: HKEY_Classes_root\clsid\{083863f1-70de-11d0-bd40-00a0c911ce86}\Instance\ and some more numbers

Reason: file not found

remove this item from the windows registry? yes or no.

""

is this my problem? i was getting this exact same error before i restored the computer to factory settings.the same error repeats only the name is nero digital video encoder and the reason: missing required registry key with some more numbers. anybody know how i can fix this? thanks...

Last edited: