CPU Cooler ok to be installed like this?

Benny Boy

Turn the cooler so that its fan pushes air towards that back exhuast.
Is there at least 1 front intake fan?
I'd put the hdd in a 5.25 bay or mount it to the bottom so I could remove that hdd cage to improve air flow.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
On aftermarket coolers, you usually have to replace the stock cpu heatsink mount with the one that comes with the new heatsink.

A new case would help. However, it looks like you have a btx motherboard in there and only a btx case would work. What is the make and model number of pc you have?

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Ok, that a micro atx motherboard so you could get a new case but again, the issue being the case wires attaching to the motherboard. Can you post a closeup of the case wires attaching to the motherboard?

StrangleHold

Staff member
Looks like a single connector. With a new case you will need to track the wires in the old one to see which is which as, in the power switch/reset switch/HD LED pins to figure out where the new case wires go.

StrangleHold

Staff member
I have reinstalled a OEM on different boards many times. If anything comes up you just tell them you had to change the board out. Majority of the time they will reactivate it for you.

StrangleHold

Staff member
Well you can go into add and remove and uninstall any drivers that have to do with the board and see if it boots with the new board. Or even try doing repair install. A clean install would be the best though.

StrangleHold

Staff member
Your only problem is the 1040 was a OEM processor. Most retail boards only list the 1045 as being supported. My guess is it would boot and be fine. If it boots you might have to manually set the voltage. Send Gigabyte a email and ask if it will by default work with the 1040. But yes the board and case will be fine.