CPU die photo

The_Other_One

VIP Member
I opened up an old 486 some time ago, and recently just got a decent picture of it. Enjoy :D

Processor.jpg

I tried an old P166 once but I ended up cracking the die... I've tried a few others but either nothing was really visable, or I broke it in the end.

But thanks :) I keep this think around with me. If it was more sturdy and didn't have the pins, I'd use it like a key chain ;)

The_Other_One said:
If it was more sturdy and didn't have the pins, I'd use it like a key chain
I've made a key holder out of an old Duron 850 Socket 462, I dont carry it around much though. hehe

liuliuboy said:
hahah sweet, how did you get it open? Care to share? I have a busted celeron D i'm willing to play with =)
who ya talkin to? i have about 5 486 dx's i don't want:)

i plan on majoring in this stuff :D
Microelectronic Engineering.
but first 2 years at a community college under engineering science, to save money. $25000 a year for the school i wanted!
i got accepted but im not paying $100,000 for college... so the cheaper $50,000 will do just fine. :D
haha

Take a dremel and just go around the metal plate. I'm not sure how some of the newer processors will work, but these older ones are very easy to get into...

fade2green514 said:
i plan on majoring in this stuff :D
Microelectronic Engineering.
but first 2 years at a community college under engineering science, to save money. $25000 a year for the school i wanted!
i got accepted but im not paying $100,000 for college... so the cheaper $50,000 will do just fine. :D
haha

Whoa dude, thats some serious amount of cash!! Im doing computer engineering in college, but all I have to pay is my registration fee's at the start of the year which amount to about €800 :cool:

The_Other_One said:
But thanks :) I keep this think around with me. If it was more sturdy and didn't have the pins, I'd use it like a key chain ;)

Thanks for the idea, i just made one out of an old PII cpu :D

monkeysims said:
thats gotta be a big keychain, slot 1's are big

oh i didn't use the entire card, i just plied the little section of the actual cpu looking part off.

it's no more than 2 inches across

Back