CPU Fan Speed

atthedouble2

I've got a bit of a problem with the speed of my CPU fan.

I'm using ASUS Q-Fan to control it at the moment.

If I turn Q-Fan off, then the fan zooms off like a rocket to 2800rpm, which is pretty loud!

If I turn Q-Fan onto performance mode, which is supposed to be the highest setting, then the fan slows down to only 1000rpm, and I want it to run at about 1600.

I've tried playing with Q-Fan, and you cant enter an RPM manually.
I've also tried speedfan, but I don't think my motherboard is supported because it wont work - I've followed guides - still nothing.

Any software you people know of that can control the speed of the fan?

TFT

VIP Member
Try adjusting the "fan/speed" ratio in the BIOS.
You have Low speed [10:15] [11:15] [12:14] [13:15] [14:15] Full speed. If it's set at default 10:15 then try 11:15.

atthedouble2

There's no option there, except the Q-Fan one, which behaves as i described above. I checked again, but no option to do with fan speed at all in the bios! :(

TFT

VIP Member

That is where it would be if supported but looking on the ASUS site I cannot see your motherboard BIOS supported when it comes to QFan.

Last edited:

atthedouble2

I could try updating my bios, then maybe the option will appear. But not to the latest version, as I did that before, and my system didn't like it at all!

Do you think I should?

TFT

VIP Member
How important is Qfan to you ?
If it's not life or death I would never recommend updating a BIOS, things can go seriously wrong unless you have the later MB's that can recover from a bad update.

Speedfan is a good alternative.

atthedouble2

Speedfan is a good alternative.

I've tried using speed fan. I can't get it to work at all with my MB. I don't think it's compatible.

My CPU is normally at about 32-34 Degrees C according to ASUS PC probe, after about an hour of normal (not strenuous) use. E.g browsing and stuff. I don't really know what the temps are like under load, but I'd say they would be about....40C maybe.
I know 40C is safe, but I've never been that high before, so I'd just like the option available for me to bring my CPU fan RPM up a bit....but it appears that i can't! :(

Seems there's a big gap in the market for CPU fan control software!