CPU/GPU Fusion, Blew me away...

MagGoT_4_liFE

I was reading an article, http://www.tgdaily.com/2006/10/25/amd_announces_fusion_processor/, and it just blew me away. I guess amd/ati plan to have these new processors in 07 for laptops, but I've never heard of this before. This is new to me. So interesting.... I wonder though, will they be able to put higher end gpu's in the cps'd then, for example, they have for onboard video? Makes me wonder how powerful this could be...Also, have they thought about heating issues??? Gpu's get HOT under pressure, and within a cpu?!?!? Could cause overheats, I think...hmm....

Geoff

VIP Member
I've read about them to, it sounds like there going to be far superior to current onboard graphics chips, but still won't be as powerful as higher end graphics cards.

MagGoT_4_liFE

[-0MEGA-];470248 said:
I've read about them to, it sounds like there going to be far superior to current onboard graphics chips, but still won't be as powerful as higher end graphics cards.

Thats what I thought, also, on Tom's Hardware, I was reading that the new DX10 cards could be a long a 12'' They said if so they might have to change the design of mobo's/cases.... Ineresting... All this new info is mind boggoling...:eek:

The_Other_One

VIP Member
The main reason for a GPU is to have less overhead for the CPU, correct? That's why some slower processors can still game quite well as long as you have a fairly decent processor. I mean, I got Need For Speed Most Wanted to play on my old PIII 733 and it looked better than my Athlon!(I had my GF 6200 TC at the time :p, PIII had an 8500)

Now lets recall stuff like duel core. Most games still run well on single core processors, so why not take that other core and use it just for graphics? Seems the same could go for Physics and what not

SirKenin

banned
This has been talked about for months, ever since the merger. I too would be interested to see how it performs.

As far as Need for Speed, that entire series has been quirky, right from the very first one (which I also owned at one time). On some hardware it runs great, others like crap and there is seemingly no rational explanation for it. Well, maybe there is, but I've never found one.

ETSA

It sounds like more of a solution for those who don't want to buy those independently, ie: non performance users....

pyvnetrvne.

banned
Now lets recall stuff like duel core. Most games still run well on single core processors, so why not take that other core and use it just for graphics?
You want to make the second CPU render graphics, considering that it's not even solely meant for graphics, when a GPU can do it many times faster as it is specifically designed for that kind of task? Remember software mode for games?

Secondly, with current video cards reaching VRAM bandwidth speeds of up to 50GB/s, you want to use shared RAM running at 6-8GB/s?