CPU Heat troubles

J_D

Well I was hoping I wasn't going to experience any problems with the heat issue I have currently. But it looks like it has struck. I was encoding some video footage I had taken on my camera today to upload to facebook, when my computer shuts off! So I did the same process again to try and replicate the problem however this time I monitored the CPU temps. and as soon as the CPU hit 85C the system shut down. So it looks like I've hit the safety maximum. (see hardware specifications below in signature)

I'm unsure as to what to do now this problem has reared its head, the computer is old and I will be replacing it in the near future. 3 weeks ago the nVidia 6600 died and I ordered a 7600GT replacement however that is taking for ever to get processed. and I think I would be lucky to receive it within the next few weeks :(. So I'm wondering if I should just cancel. considering I haven't been playing any games in the last 3 weeks since the graphics card died and have been forced to use my vintage 5200, and If and when the 7600GT arrives I find that playing games also shuts down the computer due to core temperature, I will be non best pleased.

So should I just order a air canister and give the heat sink a blast out? and hope for the best?

Or do I perhaps think about cancelling the 7600GT and bringing forward plans to buy/build a new computer?

Because I am dependent on this computer for college work etc. I'm not keen on replacing the heat sink, and I don't think it is worth it to fork out for another new piece of hardware anyway

Lemme know what you think?

Cheers
J_D

MrRandom

crack her open and check all heat sinks, fans, other cooling systems are all cleaned out and that all heat sinks are firmly attached to where they should be. check that the thermal paste is still good, and that it is spread over the entire surface area of the chip it should be on. also, be sure that there is no dust between anything, blocking airflow.

J_D

crack her open and check all heat sinks, fans, other cooling systems are all cleaned out and that all heat sinks are firmly attached to where they should be. check that the thermal paste is still good, and that it is spread over the entire surface area of the chip it should be on. also, be sure that there is no dust between anything, blocking airflow.

Well I don't really fancy unmounting the heat sink cause its an odd looking one, massive as well. I'd be worried I wouldn't be able to get it back on. Also i have no thermal paste. But i'm deffinatly going to see what i can do tommorrow morning.

MrRandom

just make sure its all cleaned out then and try to jiggle the heat sink. if it moves you just have to crank it down a bit. does the computer always overheat now, or just while doing certain things?

just thought of this, your thermometers may be screwed. do you have anything else you could take readings of it from? maybe an electrical (not the mercury ones) outdoor thermometer?

J_D

The temperature issues I have noticed have been steadily increasing over time. When it was new I remember seeing low 50's for idle and 65 for burn. now its 68 for idle and 85 for burn, So its most likely just age and the gradual decrease in effectiveness of the heat sink and fan.

I'm afraid I don't have any other way of confirming the temperature but as i just said i have noticed over the years a steady increase in temperature.

smerk

Sounds to me like a build up of dust in the computer could be playing a role in the increasing temperatures too, if you dont clean it out i suggest you give it a clean soon.

J_D

Well once I've got some very important coursework done in the next few days I will give it a good spring clean.

My case has a CPU Duct cone thing {see an image of one below} I'm tempted to try and see if removing it makes any change, also I reckon the filter is clogged up.

air-duct-cone.jpg

Last edited:

smerk

Yep, i dont think removing the duct with have any affect on the temperatures (maybe even a rise) as long as it is well cleaned! But hey if you got the time, might as well try it ;)

Last edited: