CPU too hot... !!!

raoul_1101

Hi, recently I had a thread about my CPU overheating... here..

I just got the new (its cheap, a stock one) and thermal gel. I reseated the CPU and threw the thermal gel on it. However, the temps are still really high. Both cores (Core 0 and Core 1) stay around 36-39 Celsius when Idle, but my Core temp is really high still (60C when idle). I'm guessing somehow the thermal gel ended up uneven, but that's still a huge variation in temperature so I'm not sure. Anyone have any ideas?

Edit: I just reseated, took a bit of the thermal gel off (I had a lot on). Everything went down in temperature except the Core, which is still running close to 60 (57C).

Last edited:

raoul_1101

Well, Under 100% load, the 'Core' temp doesn't change. The Core 0 and Core 1 temperatures don't go over 60C. I guess this isn't too too bad of temperatures, but I'm stress testing now. This thread can probably be closed.

just a noob

did you remove all of the thermal paste from the old cooler(use rubbing alchohol to clean it all off)? also, what cooler is it?

raoul_1101

Yea, isopropyl alcohol and cue tips, get that garbage thermaltake thermal gel off (of which i used temporarily). Put some new artic 5 on- it ran too hot, so i took some off (I put wayy too much on). The thing runs cooler, but the 'core' temperature in Speedfan is still confusing the hell out of me- that temperature is running twice core 0 and 1 when idle.

The heatsink- not sure what exactly it is. I think its just a stock Intel one though. Copper conductor, aluminum fins, generic 80mm fan on top- nothing special, but nothing that should allow the CPU to run that hot.

JTM

Yeah, putting too much thermal paste can cause problems like that. You might want to check out your airflow inside the case (I haven't read your other thread) and see what is going on in there. Also, an aftermarket cpu cooler wouldn't hurt.

dubesinhower

yea i would try getting an aftermarket cooler. also, what kind of case do you have? airflow could be a factor in overheating. have you managed the cables in your case?

raoul_1101

Yeah, putting too much thermal paste can cause problems like that. You might want to check out your airflow inside the case (I haven't read your other thread) and see what is going on in there. Also, an aftermarket cpu cooler wouldn't hurt.

There's not a lot of info in the other thread either.
It's a Thermaltake Certerion (Which I hate). Not bad airflow, but not the greatest. The cables are managed pretty well. It's not my main rig, so I don't really feel like buying an aftermarket cooler right now, but maybe in the future (if the CPU lasts ;) )

Damian Stormbow

You didn't mention ambient case temperature. Sure the CPU fan/heatsink combo will remove core heat but you need to efficiently remove secondary heat out. Also, are cables/devices blocking air flow?

raoul_1101

Yeah, the ambient temperature isn't too bad. Looking at the CPU cooler, it doesn't even cover the whole CPU... Its a circular plate that sits on the CPU- the thing doesn't even touch the corners of the CPU. Whilst the thing covers the majority of the CPU, could not covering the corners cause it to overheat?

bomberboysk

Yeah, the ambient temperature isn't too bad. Looking at the CPU cooler, it doesn't even cover the whole CPU... Its a circular plate that sits on the CPU- the thing doesn't even touch the corners of the CPU. Whilst the thing covers the majority of the CPU, could not covering the corners cause it to overheat?

I wouldnt think so, as the stock intel core 2 duo coolers are the same way, the actual cpu core is in the center of the chip, the rest of the chip is just a heatspreader.

raoul_1101

Well. I just put a new heat sink in. And voila! or so i thought. The whole thing runs cooler of course. But, after running a game for 45-60 minutes, I get lockups. The peculiar thing, I don't ever get lockups when running at 100% from prime95. At this point I'm pretty much out of ideas..
Video card getting too hot..?

2048Megabytes

You may want to look in your Event Viewer and see what error codes are coming up. Post the error codes that happen after a lockup here or search them in Google to try and find out what they are.

speedysim313

ur using speedfan idk about other users but when i used it, it gave terribly off temps. check bios for the right temperatures.

raoul_1101

You may want to look in your Event Viewer and see what error codes are coming up. Post the error codes that happen after a lockup here or search them in Google to try and find out what they are.

These are the error codes I dug up:
  • 1000007e
  • 0000004e
  • 1000008e
  • 100000d1
  • 1000007f

Why would the BIOS provide better temps? Wouldn't that be that same as reading an idle temp?

Last edited:

Bodaggit23

Why would the BIOS provide better temps? Wouldn't that be that same as reading an idle temp?
True, they would be idle temps, but they are true temps.
No software to misinterpret the actual number. Good point though. Can't check load temps in BIOS.

raoul_1101

Did you do a new install of your Windows Operating System when upgrading your hardware Raoul?

Yes sir. Full format then a clean install of XP. And on that note, it does have SP3 and is up to date.

Edit: Could a corrupt driver cause a system to be so sporadic? I mean, I'm getting all kinds of errors here, and only when playing games for a long time. Maybe its related to DirectX or something of that sort?

Last edited:

2048Megabytes

Could a corrupt driver cause a system to be so sporadic? I mean, I'm getting all kinds of errors here, and only when playing games for a long time. Maybe its related to DirectX or something of that sort?

I'm wondering that too because some of the errors seem to be linked to registry and device driver errors. Have you looked for an updated device driver for your video card?

Have also you run Memtest86 yet? I would also run that program for a few hours to see if you get any errors. Memtest86 tests your RAM to see if it is working correctly.

raoul_1101

Yea, I have run Memtest86. That and the tester that came with Vista. Both came out error free. The video card drivers are up to date. I think I'm going to run Memtest again just for the hell of it though.

Edit: If my Linux CD shows up.

Last edited: