Dead drive recovery?

BobsYourUncle

I have an old Fujitsu MPE3170AT IDE 17 Gig that I am trying to recover 3 years of pictures from for a niece.

Has any of you had success in this process?

To be more specific, when I hook the drive up as a secondary master, it shows as scrambled hieroglyphics on the POST screen, followed by Secondary Master Failure. It won't show in Windows. It also won't show in a coouple recovery software programs I have tried.

In the BIOS it shows as a 2 Meg drive with the sectors etc. at low incorrect numbers.

The drive runs - it spins up and I can feel it humming, so I know its running. There are no bad noises or clicking of the heads banging something so its operation is smooth.

Something is very scrambled / corrupt and I would really like to help her by getting the pics back.

Has anybody performed such a task or KNOW how to go about doing it?

Sending it out to an expensive data recovery place is out of the question.

Thanks.

BobsYourUncle

well the most popular program is spinrite.

Though I have been building, fixing and upgrading computers for a lot of years, I have never actually tried anything to pull data from a dead drive, so I'm unfamiliar with spinrite and any others.

I have 8 computers running in my house and many thousands of gigs of storage. The greatest software recovery program I have ever used is called BACKUP! I keep copies of everything on multiple drives in the event of a failure. I also run RAID on most of them.

But my niece . . . well, she is like most who never backup until they lose a drive.

I'll check it out. Thanks.

BobsYourUncle

Well, I tried SpinRite on it - no cigar on that one. Though the drive shows in the BIOS as a 2 meg, SpinRite does not see it.
Dang! I was hoping.

Now I have to find some other ideas. . . . . . . . .

I'm certainly open to suggestions.