Deleting 32bit for 64

essartee4

So quick question.

I had a old DVD with windows 7 on it from years ago and I loaded it onto my rig onto a SSD drive.

I must of forgot its the 32bit version

Either way I ordered the 64 bit version

My question, how do I clear this old OS completely of my SSD properly for my new 64bit OS?

Thanks

Benny Boy

PPL do it different ways. My first choice would be to go to the ssd makers site, which might be a forum, and use their guidline/maybe app, to clean the drive.

Or from the DVD you can access commnad prompt>the Diskpart>and run the "clean all" command.

But if you go with the first one you can see if the maker has a needed firmware update while your at it.

Last edited:

Benny Boy

I couldn't say what allll the differences would be between quick format and secure erase but secure erase has been there since MLC and before so there must be reasons. Of the few manufr's I've seen, I haven't seen them use quick format. A main reason could be that erase is more thorough at removing data and refreshes drive performance. Quick format will work but I think it relies on TRIM and CG to do some of the work so imo it's not the best option.

lucasbytegenius

Ok so I found an erase tool on Kingston's site called HHDErase, however it's confusing me. It says

"BIOS must be set to “IDE” or “Compatibility” mode in order for the drive to be recognized by HDDErase"

What does this mean? What's IDE?
http://www.kingston.com/us/communit...ata-wiping-sanitize-or-secure-erase-ssds.aspx

IDE is an old type of cable. Newer stuff is usually a thin cable called SATA. Sometimes installers and format utilities have issues with SATA.

S.T.A.R.S.

banned
You don't have to set it to IDE (compatibility) mode.Just use KILL DISK to erase the entire HDD and then install Windows on it.
Kill disk will recognize your HDD without setting it from SATA (ahci) to IDE (compatibility).