Deleting files that won't delete?

JohnJSal

Hi all. I'm trying to clear up as much space as possible on my Windows install so I can then install Linux. But there are three files that refuse to be deleted. I get an "access denied" error. They are located in the Application Data/Apple Computer folder. Inside there, there are three separate iTunes folders, each with a 75MB quicktime installer .msi file. These are the files I can't remove.

I even tried a tip from a magazine, which was to open a command prompt, then close the task "explorer.exe", then do a DEL command, but I still got an access denied error. As far as I can tell, nothing Apple-related is running, and these are just installers anyway.

Any tips on how to remove them?

Thanks!

The_Other_One

VIP Member
The main thing you need to do is get out of windows... Perhaps the easiest way would be booting to something like a Linux LiveCD, BartPE, or something of that nature and deleting it through there. Safemode may even work...

houssam_ballout

Try to go to safe mode, then delete the files from there
but 75MB are nothing if you want to install Linux,
or use the_other_one suggestion, to use LiveCD

JohnJSal

Try to go to safe mode, then delete the files from there
but 75MB are nothing if you want to install Linux,
or use the_other_one suggestion, to use LiveCD

I'll try safe mode tonight, but yeah, it's not a lot of space, just annoying that it won't go away. Even after I install Linux and then manage to delete them, it will just be a little extra space on the Windows partition. No huge deal, just one of those things I want control over. :)

Calibretto

VIP Member
Safe Mode will let you delete it garaunteed. Usually you press F8 at startup to bring up boot options and then select Safe Mode.

mep916

Administrator
Staff member
Try taking ownership of the folder. Normally it takes a lot of steps, but I found a registry edit awhile back that adds the "Take Ownership" option to the shell (Right-Click Menu).

Download and unzip the package. You'll receive two files: An install file and a removal file - Run the install file. When prompted, accept the registry change. Then right click the folder you want to remove and click "Take Ownership." Click "Allow" (or nothing, if UAC is disabled), then try to delete the folder.

JohnJSal

Well, Safe Mode didn't work. I still got the "Access Denied" error. I'll try the take ownership method next.

EDIT: Nope, ownership didn't work either. Same error message. :(

EDIT2: Unlocker worked! Strangely, it showed that the files weren't being locked by any other processes, but it was still able to force a delete! Awesome program! Thanks!

Last edited: