Deleting Windows Files to Free Space

jonnyp11

Re-deleted the pagefile on C and hit set this time so it stays off, so now it's almost at 10GBs free again. But still not adding up right and i used WinDirStat that voyager told someone on a different thread to use and it totaled my used space at about 22GBs. I just don't get what's going on, why it says i have so little used but so much filled.

StrangleHold

Staff member
Even if your system restore is set to 0%, you still need to turn it off. Pretty sure it hold so much space even set at 0%. But even with that I dont see of anyway of getting rid of 20GB. Plus your User folder holds alot of files.

Last edited:

jonnyp11

it is off already.

I think there's just something wrong cuz every single program i download and simple math with the normal file manager says i have less than 30GBs installed on the drive, yet everything still shows i have over 50GBs used. THIS MAKES NO SENSE.

jonnyp11

should i just disconnect my storage drive then use the windows tool to restore it to factory and keep files, and if that doesn't work then try a full reset to the core windows system?

and yes of course

StrangleHold

Staff member
Dont really see where doing a restore and keep files would get you. A full reset, you might as well do a clean install. Would lose all your file associations either way.

jonnyp11

Dont have the original files on a USB still AFAIK for a reinstall but putting the update on my USB so will see if that can anything. Just going to try a few ways to not lose all my stuff :(

cwizardtx

Dont have the original files on a USB still AFAIK for a reinstall but putting the update on my USB so will see if that can anything. Just going to try a few ways to not lose all my stuff :(

Do you have previous versions disabled for the C: drive? That will also consume space.

jonnyp11

Of course i do the refresh, and the windows.old folder is right at 40gbs, but the new oneis right at 10. Just hoping when i plug the f3 back in the icons will still work and IIRC i did something like this before and launching steam just reinstalled itself and it worked fine again

Quickpaw

Why do you need a USB stick to save your data when you said you have that 1TB drive in there?

Just copy whatever you want to save to the 1TB drive, reformat the SSD and do a clean install of windows 8, copy your files back over and then clean up the HDD. Your settings and programs won't carry over but your user folder is easily saved and your computer will run better as a result of doing things fresh.

I dont know much about how SSDs calculate free space in windows but could this be a TRIM issue?

jonnyp11

that showed it only had like 22GB used

Already did the refresh, it had a new windows folder and a windows.old one that just so happened to be about 40GB's, deleted it and installed the update and it's working fine so far. Only issue other than losing my favorites and such is Origin stopped recognizing all my games so i have to redownload them some time (think i lost the sames too which really does piss me off and i didn't even think about that till now), but steam just has to re-install them, the files are all still there though. Just wish it could'a left the registry alone or whatever.

actually looked and remembered most of them made save spots in the documents are which was carried over and preserved.

I currently have well over 20GBs free after updates and everything.

Last edited:

jonnyp11

oh, i moved the update to a flash drive and to do the refresh. You had to have an install media, so when i did the refresh it basically had already installed the full pro version, then i just basically activated it more or less and now its fully updated and everything