Dell computers - quality

J

jcambece

Dell's pc is not bad in my opinion. I work at the Cambece Law Office here at Peabody. It's a collection office, so our 400 or so collectors all have Dell Dimensions. We don't have issues with any, ever. I own 2 dell laptops personally and no problems at all. Comparing customer service with other pc providers. Dell is up there too.

Geoff

VIP Member
I really like dells to, they last a long time in my opinion. I had a 10+ year old dell laptop that still worked until i messed around with it. And most of ythe old systems at school are dells. There just not that good for gaming.

justin3

All the Dells at my school crashed and one started smokeing. They were the cheap $300 dell towers, so those suck. I really hate dell there so called (tech support) is in India, so ya cant hear or understand them. The older P3s wermore dependable and cost more to build, thats why dell is going to cheap. Its just like AOL, there ads are so gay and they say they are so good but there not. Unless you buy an expensive one like XPS. My HP was about $1,600 and it kicks my friends $1,600 Dell hard in gameing and multitasking.

Charlie7940

I've never had problems with Dell. They're great computers for I do, which includes very little gaming. The thing that makes them so great are their cheap prices usually. If you look around for some of the deals and discounts they have the price is unbeatable for what you get.

Now I can already tell this will be another one of those threads where some people will say they absolutely suck and others will say they love them. Of course they are not good for gaming unless you go out and buy a decent video card for it. Keep in mind that people who buy a dell do not have gaming as a high priority.

Another thread covering the same topic: http://computerforum.com/showthread.php?t=26642

diduknowthat

formerly liuliuboy
Charlie7940 said:
I've never had problems with Dell. They're great computers for I do, which includes very little gaming. The thing that makes them so great are their cheap prices usually. If you look around for some of the deals and discounts they have the price is unbeatable for what you get.

Now I can already tell this will be another one of those threads where some people will say they absolutely suck and others will say they love them. Of course they are not good for gaming unless you go out and buy a decent video card for it. Keep in mind that people who buy a dell do not have gaming as a high priority.

Another thread covering the same topic: http://computerforum.com/showthread.php?t=26642

well sometimes you can find better emachine deals. Personally I had bad experience with Dell but I guess dell is a respectable company.

bjtphoto

I have a Dell 600m laptop that I use at college. I have had it replaced two times; once I dropped it and the second time the hard drive failed. They have replaced it both times (thankfully I had extended warranty). Everytime it is replaced they upgrade it for free. Initially had a 1.6ghz Centrino M, 256mb memory, 40gb hdd - now it is 1.8ghz Pentium M, 1GB memory, 80gb hdd....so I am happy with their service.

34erd

bjtphoto said:
I have a Dell 600m laptop that I use at college. I have had it replaced two times; once I dropped it and the second time the hard drive failed. They have replaced it both times (thankfully I had extended warranty). Everytime it is replaced they upgrade it for free. Initially had a 1.6ghz Centrino M, 256mb memory, 40gb hdd - now it is 1.8ghz Pentium M, 1GB memory, 80gb hdd....so I am happy with their service.
LOL drop it a couple more times and you will have the fastest laptop in the world.
On a side note I'm using a 600m rite now, well its actualy my moms but I really like it. The thing about dells is, they are fine untill you start tweaking them, they are just NOT meant for that, and my 8200 went on a terminal run once I started "upgrading" it.

4W4K3

VIP Member
If you don't require much from your computer, Dell is fine. Generally their "unbeatably priced" computers are lower-end, and meant for the home user to surf the web, e-mail, watch DVD's, stuff like that. When you get into there XPS systems, or their servers...you can almost always beat their price.

Geoff

VIP Member
4W4K3 said:
If you don't require much from your computer, Dell is fine. Generally their "unbeatably priced" computers are lower-end, and meant for the home user to surf the web, e-mail, watch DVD's, stuff like that. When you get into there XPS systems, or their servers...you can almost always beat their price.

As i said in a previous thread, dells are good for non-gamers, since there budget pc's are cheap and good, but there XPS line is good, but very expensive.

justin3

See like me im a gamer, thats why I dont like Dells, I push my HP very hard and it still works, though I dont know if I could do that on a Dell.

bigsaucybob

im a gamer and i love my dell. i have upgraded it and had no problems. there phone support isnt good but their chat support is excellent. im am talking with someone in less than 3 minutes everytime and they are always helpful. im a gamer and push my dell to the max as well and have no problems at all.

bjtphoto

bigsaucybob said:
im a gamer and i love my dell. i have upgraded it and had no problems. there phone support isnt good but their chat support is excellent. im am talking with someone in less than 3 minutes everytime and they are always helpful. im a gamer and push my dell to the max as well and have no problems at all.

Yeah, their online chat support is great. I had to call one time and held for three hours waiting for someone; when my HD failed, I got online on a friends computer and talked to them and the HD was in the mail in less than an hour.

Chris Chan

I have a Dell Dimension 8300 that works well, but a Latitude CPx that locks after 15 mins due to either a heat or memory issue. 2 of my mom's friends are computer newbies and have Dimension 3000's, and they're both okay but non-upgradeable.

Curt

Chris Chan said:
I have a Dell Dimension 8300 that works well, but a Latitude CPx that locks after 15 mins due to either a heat or memory issue. 2 of my mom's friends are computer newbies and have Dimension 3000's, and they're both okay but non-upgradeable.

What exactly do you mean, non-upgradable? The hard drive, Cd drives, and memory...at the least are uprgradable. Unless you mean the mobo can't be upgraded.
If anyone wants to know my opinion on Dell, just go to the link someone posted before me. I tend to rant about Dell. I should probably stop, but I deal with them quite often and have many issues with them.

kof2000

at least they arent emachines, our campuses are all emachines lol and i happen to get the one pc with screwy internet and lag.

tweaker

VIP Member
kof2000 said:
i happen to get the one pc with screwy internet and lag.

Holy crap it came with internet?! :p

I'm sure you meant dodgy nic drivers or something... ;)

Last edited:

Chris Chan

@Curt: GFX is not upgradeable without resorting to a PCI card. HD, CD are upgradeable. Mobo is actually less upgradeable on my 8300 due to it being a proprietary form factor. The 3000's boards are standard mATX IIRC.

bigsaucybob

i upgraded my memory, sound card, video card, and psu. i also added another hard drive. all still inside my dell 4700 case. i really like my dell and have had no trouble at all upgrading it.

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
Dell's pc is not bad in my opinion. I work at the Cambece Law Office here at Peabody. It's a collection office, so our 400 or so collectors all have Dell Dimensions. We don't have issues with any, ever. I own 2 dell laptops personally and no problems at all. Comparing customer service with other pc providers. Dell is up there too.
Is this in response to something?

but there XPS line is good, but very expensive
Expensive? yes. Good? Arguable.

See like me im a gamer, thats why I dont like Dells, I push my HP very hard and it still works, though I dont know if I could do that on a Dell.
LOL FYI, HP isnt exactly a gaming oriented maker either

Can you elaborate on "pushing the Dell to the max"?

What exactly do you mean, non-upgradable? The hard drive, Cd drives, and memory...at the least are uprgradable. Unless you mean the mobo can't be upgraded.
From a technical point you're correct however, changing HDD/CD/RAM is hardly considered an "upgrade".

GFX is not upgradeable without resorting to a PCI card.
Depends on the machine (and dell is just like damn near every other maker in this respect)

Mobo is actually less upgradeable on my 8300 due to it being a proprietary form factor
If you're upgrading the mobo, the mobo's proprietory-ness isnt going to be an issue (unless you intend to use the same PSU/case which i assume is actually what you're referring to)

That's a 4700. The 3000's use a different board design without AGP.
Thank you for posting that :). This, ladies and gentlemen is the exact reason why one should not be running around making broad sweeping statement about an entire line of products! Damn near every OEM will have a fanbase and concurrently a group of people who dislike them and for both groups ... varying reasons. :)