Dell vs. iMac

mkeyfoo34

I never mentioned games in my post only Graphics !!
Sorry forgot you are both American....you wouldn't know about our use of Macs
for what it's worth I live in the Black Country England

Drenlin

Are you serious, dude? Is it that hard to accept that iMacs aren't made for gaming? Their forte is image editing.

justinmmm690

What the hell does being american have to do with ANY of this? Seriously, get out. :mad:

Also, sure you can game on a mac but they are not ideal for it. They limit the graphics card options, the best one is extremely expensive and not upgradeable! My price comparison which had the same specs as the i5 27" iMac, including monitor, keyboard, wireless and everything else had a $750 difference. Personally, I don't think that Mac OS X is worth $750. For the same price as that iMac, you could get a 5970 an i7 processor, solid state drives and tons of great stuff!

Last edited:

iGeekOFComedy

I'm actually not i'm american and I'm irish. I didn't direct it at you i'm just saying it has good graphics plus a mac was made to do video editing and photo editing because of software compatibility inside the open gl frameworks with open cl. BTW I'm giving mac the + not the pc haha and have dude your touchy.

tlarkin

VIP Member
The best iMac has a 4850 graphics card. That'll set you back a long ways and it's not that good of a card. It'll cost $2099.

This build has the exact same components as the iMac that costs $2099.

http://secure.newegg.ca/WishList/PublicWishDetail.aspx?WishListNumber=11125594

My build comes out to $1333.88. Unless Mac OS X is worth $765.12, they are really ripping you off.

Your build is not comparable, that monitor does not have the glass cover nor does it support IPS. Add a IPS display to your build that is 27" and it will significantly increase your build price.

Here goes one from dell for $1,000

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?sku=224-8284&dgc=SS&cid=27530&lid=627063&s=dhs

So yeah, the iMac is a good buy

justinmmm690

Your build is not comparable, that monitor does not have the glass cover nor does it support IPS. Add a IPS display to your build that is 27" and it will significantly increase your build price.

Here goes one from dell for $1,000

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?sku=224-8284&dgc=SS&cid=27530&lid=627063&s=dhs

So yeah, the iMac is a good buy

Alright, subtract the monitor in my build, add the Dell 27" with IPS and it comes out to about $2080. Still about the same as the iMac Plus, you get future expandability.

Really the iMac comes out to $2099 + $100 for Windows. He'd still need a copy of Windows for his games. $2199

My build with windows included and the dell monitor is about $2099. Plus with the PC you get: future upgrades, you get to know exactly what quality of parts are going into your PC.

Plus, this guy isn't even looking at IPS monitors or even 27" monitors. This guy needs a PC.

tlarkin

VIP Member
Alright, subtract the monitor in my build, add the Dell 27" with IPS and it comes out to about $2080. Still about the same as the iMac Plus, you get future expandability.

Really the iMac comes out to $2099 + $100 for Windows. He'd still need a copy of Windows for his games. $2199

My build with windows included and the dell monitor is about $2099. Plus with the PC you get: future upgrades, you get to know exactly what quality of parts are going into your PC.

Plus, this guy isn't even looking at IPS monitors or even 27" monitors. This guy needs a PC.

A mac and a PC are just tools. Tools to get whatever you want to get done. You can game just fine on a Mac. In fact most games run fine on medium settings on any last generation video card. The developers design them to always run on older computers, because most people do not upgrade every other month to stay up to date hardware wise.

Also, if you feature compare the OSes, you would have to get Windows 7 Ultimate to actually compare everything spec to spec.

It really just comes down to preference, and since I have used both for so many years I am used to both and can work on either just as efficient. However, the bottom line is personal preference.

bomberboysk

Steam for mac has quite a few games...

Nobody said the OP was looking for an IPS display, however when comparing a mac to a pc, don't say "its the same thing" when clearly, it isnt.

speedyink

VIP Member
Are you serious, dude? Is it that hard to accept that iMacs aren't made for gaming? Their forte is image editing.

Actually he was talking about image editing from the beginning

Calm the Eff down man. From a member of neither countries you definitely win the annoying contest. Sure Macs are good at graphics, but so are PC's. Give it a rest.

As for the OP, In my opinion you should go with the Dell.
A) Better at games than the Mac by far
B) You'd also be covered by video editing with numerous amounts of programs to choose from (though Adobe is really the only way to go)
C) Ability to fix the hardware yourself. Yay no dealing with warrantees!

Last edited:

bomberboysk

iMac's definately arent gaming machines...they are all in one computers, excellent for those working in the graphics industry or looking for an all rounder computer...not the best for those who want to game, which i'm sure many apple fans would even admit.

diduknowthat

formerly liuliuboy
Okay guys, I've put off this decision but I need a new computer ASAP. It's either the top of the line fully loaded Dell XPS 9000 or the top of the line iMac 27". I'm going to be using Word and Excel, heavy video editing and gaming. My attraction to the iMac is that it's all built into the screen and the fact that macs don't slow down the more programs you put on it. The downside is that I've never had one before and don't know the OS, and I know my way around a PC in my sleep. Also, for gaming on an iMac I'll have to reboot the computer in bootcamp all the time (sounds like a pain). I don't want a custom-made computer though. Thoughts?

Pretty hardcore gaming. Oblivion, Fallout, etc. Two people at the Apple store who claim to be gamers say the top of the line iMac is a decent gaming computer.

Notice he never said ANYTHING about graphics. Video editing and heavy gaming.

you tell me what was better than Quark and Design for doing Graphics
I was Graphic Designer before retirement ask.....Pentogram....what the use ?
So I have no idea why you brought up these programs..

D..anthrax are you thick or what the guy was talking about graphics
And don't insult me you B !......the words you don't understand is
Quote: "What they use"
or started bashing other members.

next time read the post before you make a typical southern criticism !
Smart arse.
or being racist and an ass.

or hating on Americans.

Thanks for all the slagging.....good luck to you all from England.:cool:
or making your country look bad.

mkeyfoo34

Nothing wrong about our country I'm proud to be English although most of my family did Emigrate to Fall River Canada, Arroyo Grande America and Broken Hill Australia.
as Pioneers...... Mate.

mkeyfoo34

Fastdude I think Il'l leave this forum to you young uns'.
I'm obviously to old to tackle our friends across the water
I was born to early 1934.....a good year for Hitler !

tlarkin

VIP Member
I cannot believe some of you still think in the monolithic paradigm that Macs are only good at video editing and graphic design. Macintosh computers are no different than PCs, and vice versa. They are tools.

They have their pros and cons, and at the end of the day they are still tools. Macs can play games just fine, macs and run all windows apps and windows just fine.

I have steam on my Macs and I run all sorts of games on my Macs now. They all play fine. Now, if I wanted to max out every setting on a game, then I would obviously build a PC specific to that nature. However, gaming rigs don't always equal high end computing. As most higher level professional apps are very processor and memory intensive and don't really utilize the GPU. Even with the added tools of CUDA from Nvidia it makes nil difference.

Most people on this forum do not even know what they are talking about when it comes to PCs, let alone Macs or Linux. A mac and a PC are just technology and tools used to get tasks and jobs done. It all comes down to preference and business model.

My personal preferences is that Vista and Win7 were both crappy OSes, and that MS is losing sight of their customers. They are moving in the wrong direction if you ask me, which is why Macintosh now have 23% of the consumer market in the USA.

Drenlin

^ Not arguing with that, but a 4850 is never going to be able to game at such a high resolution, and lower ones will look crappy on such a large screen...