Depressed...Hard drive is done

Casie

I have a sata hard drive. My computer buddy took a look at it and said it is now resting in peace. I need some help. What do I do now? Where can I find a decent cheap replacement? :confused:

Euklid

Why is it "dead" - what happens when you boot the computer?

Seagate Barracuda series 7200.11 hard-drives had a firmware issue which causes
the hard-drive to stop booting. It no longer appears in the Bios. But it is not dead.
When you listen to it, it is still turning, and makes all the normal sounds. So if that
is the case, you can send it to Seagate and they will fix it for you.

How long did you have it for? Most hard-drive have 3 year warranty. So if it was
a technical failure, it will be replaced for free.

Last edited:

Casie

It is saying disk read error. I can hook it back up and go into the bios and get more info. My dad built this computer for me and I love it so much. I really don't want to have to replace anything if I can fix it myself.

piazza2

do I have to activate that 3 year warranty or is automatic ? do LACIE have the 3 years warranty ? my 500gb LACIE seems dead after 2 years and I'm afraid I lost a lot of photos and videos , what should I do now ?

StrangleHold

Staff member
It is saying disk read error. I can hook it back up and go into the bios and get more info. My dad built this computer for me and I love it so much. I really don't want to have to replace anything if I can fix it myself.

Disk Error could mean many things. By chance you didnt forget and leave a floppy in the floppy drive and its trying to boot to it?

Casie

Disk Error could mean many things. By chance you didnt forget and leave a floppy in the floppy drive and its trying to boot to it?

No floppy. My computer was on stand-by, I walked up and moved my mouse, then my screen saver flashed on quickly, and then my computer shut down.

I haven't had the internet on my computer in months. So I really haven't used it much. The last time I was on my computer, I was on the phone with att trying to tether my blackberry to my pc so I can use the internet. They had me in all kinds of shit that I could never remember how to get back to. It just makes me wonder if I did something then.