Desktop Computer locks at logon screen

dannaswolcott

One of my desktop computers witch I use as a server running windows server 2003 keeps locking up at the log on screen. If I boot it in safe mode I can log in windows but then things lag or nothing will open. Sounds like it could be a corrupted file or a virus but I cant tell. I am not sure what virus programs work that are free, I tried malewarebytes but no luck. I am not sure what to do.. I dont want to wipe and start over as in there is a lot in to that server and Its gonna take a very long time to put it back together.. any ideas would be great, thanks in advance.

mihir

VIP Member
Try running HDD diagnostic test.
Then also when in safe mode you can use Microsoft Security essentials for a virus scan.
You can also try restoring your OS

tremmor

Not familiar with server software. another option might be work your way to the security section and follow instructions there and checking.

First i would and if you have a profile try creating another profile as admin and even as admin 1 and admin 2 if this applies. then delete your profile or keep and log in with the other first.
just a thought. Im guessing.
tremmor

dannaswolcott

I cant even get it to unlock long enough for me to install any software, I think i am screwed i just dont know what to do. How can I back up all my domain and active directory, and user settings so I can restore them after I get the OS back up and running again.