desktop problem

snag

many times main power from street go on and off,computer cut off reboot and work.some time i have to restat that few times than it run good all week.i close the computer properly,next day i try to start that 20 times and it will not run.
first i start that computer came up with screen put pin in.i put pin in it started and was beeping all time,when i grab mouse and moove that to icon it beep and put the cursor to mitel off screen.i did not use that all week,today i start that up after 5 second one beep but black scree.i did that few times and it started up.microsoft screen come up and say restart,i restarted and now is runing.
how i trobleshoot what is wrong ?
what i should test first and how many tests i should do with all computer.
this is i7 desctop with 4 monitors.

thanks snag

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
First of all, you need to figure out why power keeps going out. If its the power companies fault then get them involved. Computers don't like power interuptions and many times power outages can destroy pc components. Your best bet is to take it in and have someone diagnose the issue and fix it if possible. If power outages are common in your area, then you need to invest in a battery backup unit and plug your pc and monitors into it so that when power goes you, you have an ample enough time to shut your system down properly before the backup drains all the power. Good ones will last about 10-15 minutes.

snag

First of all, you need to figure out why power keeps going out. If its the power companies fault then get them involved. Computers don't like power interuptions and many times power outages can destroy pc components. Your best bet is to take it in and have someone diagnose the issue and fix it if possible. If power outages are common in your area, then you need to invest in a battery backup unit and plug your pc and monitors into it so that when power goes you, you have an ample enough time to shut your system down properly before the backup drains all the power. Good ones will last about 10-15 minutes.
i have no control over power company,you call them only to leave mesage,they never respond back.
i biuld 3 computers,if i have babysiter i am able to trobleshoot that.
i just need sugestion what programs to use to diagnose complete computer,hard drive,video cards,memory,motherboard and power suply.
the second desktop is AMD and when i start that up ,some time come up mesage disk error,pres ctr-alt-delete to restart.some time it run 1 month with 1 restart and sme time i have to restart that 5 times a week.i just have to learn everything by myself with your help. i was before on suport from ATT he work with me 3 hours and he screw my computer completly and he hang up.i called back and told them what hapen.they told me they have no evidence i was on phone 3 hours.i had to call tech he work on my computer and chatge me $400 and next week i had same problem.this is reason why i have to do everything by myself.

thanks snag

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Disk error usually means the hard drive is failing or already has. In order to properly troubleshoot a pc you need known good parts to switch out to see what works and what doesn't.

I have been working on computers almost 30 years now. If a pc has problems booting up I usually do a diagnostic on the hard drive first especially if a client tells me that they've had power outages. But if you try to start pc and nothing shows up on the monitor then there is something else wrong.

So as it stands right now, what happens when you try to turn on the pc? What do you see? Can you post pictures or video?

snag

Disk error usually means the hard drive is failing or already has. In order to properly troubleshoot a pc you need known good parts to switch out to see what works and what doesn't.

I have been working on computers almost 30 years now. If a pc has problems booting up I usually do a diagnostic on the hard drive first especially if a client tells me that they've had power outages. But if you try to start pc and nothing shows up on the monitor then there is something else wrong.

So as it stands right now, what happens when you try to turn on the pc? What do you see? Can you post pictures or video?
when it fail to start properly,only black screen,some time the computer start i type pin,everything come up fine and after few minutes mouse freez and keybord.some time it will restart properly with restart buton,some time i have to turn the power off at back computer swich and turn back on.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
That really sounds like your hard drive is failing. You are probably looking at buying a new one and reinstalling windows and try to transfer your data from old to new. Do you know the brand of hard drive that is in it? Could maybe connect the bad drive to another computer and run a diagnostic on it.

snag

That really sounds like your hard drive is failing. You are probably looking at buying a new one and reinstalling windows and try to transfer your data from old to new. Do you know the brand of hard drive that is in it? Could maybe connect the bad drive to another computer and run a diagnostic on it.
samsung ssd 850 pro 256 gb one time i had proble with that it was conected with black cable,the cable was britel and broke i swiched to blue cable all time good and flexible.
procesor 3.13 g.amd fx-8120 eight core

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Thats easy then. Download samsung magician from here.

If you can get it to boot to windows successfully without doing any more damage to it, then install the software, open it up and click the diagnostic scan tab on the left and then choose to do a full scan for the scan mode and then click on start. This should tell you if its good or bad. You can post a screenshot of the results if you want.

snag

Thats easy then. Download samsung magician from here.

If you can get it to boot to windows successfully without doing any more damage to it, then install the software, open it up and click the diagnostic scan tab on the left and then choose to do a full scan for the scan mode and then click on start. This should tell you if its good or bad. You can post a screenshot of the results if you want.
drive health-good,10.7 TB written
how you take screen shot ?
do you think i should get 980 PRO SSD and replayse the olld one ?
i click diagnostic scan,it say this drive is not suported.
what is best setup for
performance optimization ?
my is set to standard mode.
i am not doing any gaming,using for internet forum and runing trading platform,ninja 8.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Then the next thing you can do is check to make sure there are no missing or corrupted windows operating system files. Open an elevated command prompt and run the following command, just copy and paste it. sfc /scannow and then hit enter. To run an elevated command prompt search for cmd.exe and right click on click on run as administrator then paste that command. This may take awhile. Let me know what the results say.

snag

Then the next thing you can do is check to make sure there are no missing or corrupted windows operating system files. Open an elevated command prompt and run the following command, just copy and paste it. sfc /scannow and then hit enter. To run an elevated command prompt search for cmd.exe and right click on click on run as administrator then paste that command. This may take awhile. Let me know what the results say.
it was saying found bad sectors and fix them.
i save the report it is long.you wont me put that up ?

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
So your hard drive is starting to fail. I would probably run that scan one more time to see what the results are. Have you tried restarting the pc to see if it boots to windows every time? Anytime a drive gets bad sectors, its only a matter of time before you'll get more, so it would be in your best interest to get a new hard drive and reinstall windows to it. Do not just clone old to new as you don't know if anything is actually still corrupted. I would also invest in a battery backup if you continue to have power outages.

snag

computer screen
do i need VPN and ccleaner,i run microsoft sherif ?i started 3 computers yesturday,they run perfect 10 hours.
this morning i start them,2 run good,the one started beeping,tu,to,to,to all time,when i try using mouse,it beep and took the mouse to center screen,i reboot same thing.it has 4 monitors i realize it open brwser on second right monitor top row,it is allways on left monitor,i disconect the left monitor and beping stop and computer work fine.
before i had startup disks for all 3 computers and have in every second hard drive and making back up and i have portable hard drive.
i did not do that for while and now i am last where is what.
my hard drives are divided some to 4 defrent drives.i was making backup to defrent ,I,K,L,M leather in hard drive,i am completly lost.
how i should get organized to know where is what.
each computer has ssd samsung 256 G and 1G western digital.
when i upgraded to SSD i had some problems i created so many files and backups,now i do not know what i can delete.
how i can clean all files to not loose win 10.
can i buckup some programs and wipe everything,i do not know the win 10 key,i do not have win 10 disk?
could i buy new ssd and start fresh ?what would be the best way to do that.
i run 3 computers as network but now i am lost in that.
what is best way to run 3 computers?
what is best free backup program ?
i was runing macrium but they upgraded chenge the interface and i got confused i stop using that i was afraid i will create some problems and loose computer and win 10.
what would be best solution ?
Screenshot (4).pngScreenshot (3).png

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
If 2 of the 3 computers is running fine, why are you worried about them?
The computer having the issue is 13 years old now. It's probably time to replace that one.
You don't need to know the activation key for windows 10 since all activations are stored on MS servers. Once you reinstall windows 10 and have internet connection, it checks the server and if found your installation string then it will auto activate your OS again.
You can always download a usb install from here. https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

snag

If 2 of the 3 computers is running fine, why are you worried about them?
The computer having the issue is 13 years old now. It's probably time to replace that one.
You don't need to know the activation key for windows 10 since all activations are stored on MS servers. Once you reinstall windows 10 and have internet connection, it checks the server and if found your installation string then it will auto activate your OS again.
You can always download a usb install from here. https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10
can i put new hard drive,new mother board,new video card new memory and instal the existing win 10 on that ?
can i just put new SSD in that and only replajse parts when they fail.
what would be best option ?
i need to run 3 computers and 12 monitors all time at same time,i run them every day from 8 to 12 hours.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
i need to run 3 computers and 12 monitors all time at same time,i run them every day from 8 to 12 hours.
What the hell do you do with all that?
can i put new hard drive,new mother board,new video card new memory and instal the existing win 10 on that ?
No, you will need a new license sicne its a new motherboard, cpu.
can i just put new SSD in that and only replajse parts when they fail.
If thats all thats wrong, yes. It's also possible that your boot files are actually one the other drive which would need to be scanned for errors as well. For this reason when installing windows, you only want that drive attached to the system. You don't want any other drive attached when installing windows.

snag

What the hell do you do with all that?

No, you will need a new license sicne its a new motherboard, cpu.

If thats all thats wrong, yes. It's also possible that your boot files are actually one the other drive which would need to be scanned for errors as well. For this reason when installing windows, you only want that drive attached to the system. You don't want any other drive attached when installing windows.
thanks for your help i aprisiate that.

gcollins1972

So when you turn off your computer. It does not really turn off. The motherboard is still partically powered. You should get a UPS, a uninterruptible power supply. Make sure it has a cable to plugin to your computer. So that it will automatically shut down your computer. Plugin the monitor too.

A cheaper solution is to have your computer anyway, plugged into a power bar with a on/off switch. With a light on it to see when turned on/off. So when you are using your computer turn it on. When you shut down your computer. After it shuts down. Turn off the power bar.

Sounds like you have really bad power there. You may want to get a power line conditioner. Help with power spikes basically. Not with brownouts or power line voltage sags. When the voltage on a power line drops. Your device still needs the same wattage. So it draws more current. That makes more heat. More heat damages electronic faster. Wattage is (voltage) times (current).

Also voltage spikes can damage or destroy semiconductors to. Modern computer parts that are well made have some protections for this built-in too (more special semiconductors). They wear out to eventually.

Your can also get power bars with built-in surge protectors. Some extra help with voltage spikes. I would expect them in your case for sure, to only last 1/2 as long as claimed by manufacture. Then you need new power bar.

Probably best to backup your data and just reinstall windows. Export bookmarks too. Maybe cookies to. Make sure you know your email passwords or change them before hand, and mark them down.

System internals owned by Microsoft now has lots of free tools. Some of which will read serials numbers of windows and office. If I remember correctly. Other tools out there that do the same thing anyway.

If you reinstall windows. Make sure to format the hard drive to. Do a backup first or all is lost.

Buy a external hard drive and do a backup to it. Just plug it in and run the backup. You get to keep the hard drive and put something else on it, or whatever. Got something to show for it anyway afterwards.

After you do the backup and reinstall windows and reinstall any software you use. You do a "restore" of that backup. That is why it's best to place all your data in the "my documents" folder for your username. Export your bookmarks and cookies and whatever else to there too. Then reimport them.

You can buy a refurbished computer on Amazon for $400 or less, $300 or less. If you do gaming, will need a better video card. At least 16GB of motherboard ram. Watch out for power supply rating of computer. Can be proprieroty parts and connectors to. Connectors can be cheap to buy. If generic replacement bought. Look on YouTube for people who have done it already with what you are thinking of buying, did a upgrade and problems/solutions they have.

Amazon prime members get free shipping on lots of things, and access to prime video to. Free shipping can make a huge difference in final price.

Last edited: