Desktop Vs. Laptop

Wutz Better?

• Computer Desktop

Votes: 25 83.3%
  • Laptop

Votes: 5 16.7%

• Total voters
HEYYYY.........I finally got enough money to buy a new computer or laptop.....but i dont kno which one to buy. Whats better a computer or a laptop and why? I need help! Also.......wut could i get for $1000-1200?......THANXXX:cool:

mat2317

laptops suck in my opinion... you cant do much with them upgrade wise. You could make a decent desktop pc with that money! Seriously go for a desktop PC!

dragon2309

P.I Dragon
desktops all the way, unless your really REALLY looking at a high end laptop, like $3000 and over. So in your budget, more power and efficiency will come from a desktop PC. Are you looking to self build or buy from a store.....?

4W4K3

VIP Member
Depends on what you need from it.

Desktops generally have ALOT more power on your kind of budget, you can customize them very easily, upgraing is easy and pain-free too. However, if your schedule requires you to be out and aout alot of the time, and you can't sit nad play games at a desk all day, your desktop will never get used. They are next to impossible o carry around with you where you go, and even if you did transfer it, putting it all up and getting it going takes alot of time compard to a laptop.

With a laptop, you won't get as much power. If you're into gaming, a laptop for $1200 will work, just won't be "the best". If you have plenty of time each day to sit and play gaems in 1 location,go with a desktop. Transporting laptops is really easy, you can turn it on and go anywhere,anytime. Battery life is bigget issue. Of course, if youre not interested n gaming at all, and jsut want a computer fo basic needs and transportability, a laptop is the best idea.

I'd vote desktop for gaming and fun use, but laptop if you're always on the go.

stalex111

skidude said:
Desktop, more power, cooler looking, cheaper (most of the time) :D
And more flexible when it comes to moding it or upgrading it (or downgrading it but i dont know anyone who did that), generally, less industrial locks (in the BIOS and on system files), etc.
LMAO! Laptops: 0% Desktop: 100% ! Hope it lasts!

Sacred Silence_06

13 to 1 i prefer the destop pc for all my needs, but when i go somewhere my laptop can also come in handy, overall destop is better., all above reasons

age123

Desktop, easy to upgrade, cooler, better hdd speeds, more space eg usb,firewire,cardreaders ect. cheeper

mash

I had a laptop, then just switched to a PC, and I'm enjoying/using the PC a lot more. Unless you want to fork out $2k for a "gaming" laptop, go with the desktop. Easy to upgrade and you get more performance for your money.

computerhakk

VIP Member
Well, since you have up to $2000. why not get both. I would.

unless, you are planning to be a heavy gamer, then just get a desktop.

Last edited:

i.Angel

Desktop all the way. Better performance, you can mod them (fans, water cooling, etc.), more HD space, cheaper, upgrading is easier... pretty much a desktop kills laptops in every section besides portability! ... and maybe security with those cool new finger scanners...:D

The_Other_One

VIP Member
Laptops are fine FOR WHAT THEY ARE MADE FOR. They are NOT meant to run all day long, to play games, and such. Some are, but much of the hardware inside is still laptop based(small HDs) and such.

So if you just want a machine to use a few hours a day max, a desktop would be what you'd want. If you want something that stays on 24/7, look into a desktop.

LaptopExtreme

VIP Member
Laptops, you can leave on all day if you wanted. No problem there. Although many are at x700 and 6800 gpu's at the moment, but the x1600's are just around the corner and more and more people are bringing laptops to lan parties. Yes they're convenient, portable, yet powerful, space saver on any table, less wires and external components, suck up less power than a desktop and a fat monitor, etc.
I think someone else here mentioned that they're hard to upgrade- I think they're much easier to upgrade than a desktop nowadays. You'd be surprised at how many barebones are on the market these days,too- and how much Laptop components are available now than there was a few years ago. In the near future, you will see more and more people buying laptops than desktops... oh wait, it's already been like that since May of 2005.
Portability/Mobility is what people want. You'll see that the laptops are getting more & more affordable and no one really wants to be strapped down anymore. Just like cell phones have gotten more and more popular. I'm sure many parents, even grandparents, are sporting around cell phones nowadays.

Geoff

VIP Member
LaptopExtreme said:
I think someone else here mentioned that they're hard to upgrade- I think they're much easier to upgrade than a desktop nowadays.
Laptops arent easier to upgrade, but they are getting easier then previous laptops.