Desperately need help setting up an adhoc network on windows xp sp3

ForeverNoobie

So I'm using a Dell Vostro 1500 with a 1490 Dual Band WLAN Mini-Card, Windows XP Pro SP3.

I'm trying to set up a adhoc network so I can get the internet on an android powered ebook reader I recently bought. I found some guides online, and I followed them exactly but they don't work. First I tried the dell wireless utility. I set up an open adhoc network with no security and it said it connected but my wireless network icon in my systray still had a little red x on it. When I right click the dell wifi utility icon and hover over Connect To it shows my network with a check next to it as if all is well. Still my I was unable to find the network with my ereader.

Next created a different adhoc network using the windows utility. Again it was open with no password. When I tried to connect to it it took a long time and then said 'failed to connect'.

The whole time I've had the wifi catcher on my ereader open, and it's been catching other wifis in the area. I tried entering the name of my adhoc network in the ereader but that didn't work either. It said out of range (or something to that effect). I don't know whats going wrong and I'm seriously frustrated here.

I even went so far as to download a 3rd party utility (Virtual Access Point) which is supposed to set up a adhoc network for you. I clicked through the instructions and it said the network was active although it also said 'disabled' in red next to my wireless network. My ereader still wasn't able to connect.

I already set up connection sharing for my local area network but I figure if my ereader doesn't even see the wireless network then the problem couldn't be there so I haven't done much tinkering in that area.

Edit:
Also my system is configured to allow wireless and local area network to be enabled at the same time.

Last edited:

Jiffyman

Your problem may be that wireless adapters can't operate in ad-hoc & infrastructure mode at the same time. You need to have a second wired/wireless connection and share it with the adapter that you intend on using for the ad-hoc network. Do that then follow this guide. If you already have it set up that way there might be some limitation. You shouldn't need anything other than a second network adapter of some type.

Last edited: