difference between XP Pro and XP 64?

goosy22

i'm currently planning a new comp build and i was just wondering what, if any, are the major differences between XP Pro w/SP2 and XP 64bit edition?

Altanore

Only difference is that the 64bit edition takes advantage of the 64bit processors. However, from what I have heard, it is very buggy and has compatibility issues. I would suggest going to Windows XP pro as it will still run fine on 64bit processors and has no issues.

DCIScouts

VIP Member
The current XP Pro is a 32 bit operating system. There are a few advantages to the 64 bit OS, but like the others said, too buggy, stick with the one that works... :)

Geoff

VIP Member
I've used both, and honsetly i can say that i havent noticed any differences between them, in fact 3DMark06 scored lower. And it has compatibility issues.

kof2000

i used 3rd party drivers for my laptop with x64 everything works. u just need to do some research on the hardware that u're getting before going x64.

OS Dragon

If your still planning to get the 64 bit version, just make sure that you have the right driver (saying that, make sure the compatiblity is good enough). I doubt very much that the common user will find any difference between the two.

goosy22

ok... (btw i'm gonna stick a amd x2 4400+ in the comp i'm gonna build... and that's why i was wondering...)

are there any compatibility issues with games out now? or can they be fixed through patches, updated driver, etc.