DirectX 12

GSAV55

Long Post Summary: Upgrade GPU in sig to 6 series in the fall or wait until DX 12 comes out. 4 series only supports DX 10. Read on for more details.

I have the GPU in my sig. I picked it up last October. You cane see it on Newegg here.

I was thinking about upgrading to one of the 5 series cards, or maybe one of the 6 series cards that should come out in the fall. But in the back of my mind I'm not sure if I should do that or just wait until DirectX 12 comes out, which may not even be for 2 more years.

What do you guys think? The card I have now is sick, and with my setup I can run Crysis, Arma 2, Dirt 2, and Bad Company 2 pretty much maxed out. But its only DirectX 10. A lot of games now are DirectX 11, including some on that list. And I've read that DX 11 not only gives better graphics, but can give better performance as well, because of the way it balances work between the CPU and GPU.

Does anyone even know when DX 12 is expected to come out? I had 2 Nvidia 7900's in SLI that I used until I got my 4890, and I saw a huge performance and graphics improvement (I pretty much upgraded everything though...but even so).

Also I've never actually seen DX 11 IRL, is it all hype, or is there a noticeable difference from DX10?

Thanks

Last edited:

bomberboysk

No ideas on DX12, since DX11 just came out(more or less anyhow). The 6000 series cards are supposed to be minor improvements over the 5000 series architecture, and i wouldnt hold my breath until whatever Ati brings out after the 6000 series, as the 6000 series will not be on the 28nm process from what i have heard, and instead will be designed and built on a 40nm process(as globalfoundries won't have their 28nm fab until 2011 IIRC).

GSAV55

No ideas on DX12, since DX11 just came out(more or less anyhow). The 6000 series cards are supposed to be minor improvements over the 5000 series architecture, and i wouldnt hold my breath until whatever Ati brings out after the 6000 series, as the 6000 series will not be on the 28nm process from what i have heard, and instead will be designed and built on a 40nm process(as globalfoundries won't have their 28nm fab until 2011 IIRC).

Thanks a lot for your answer, where are you getting your information from? I've tried googling about it and haven't been able to find a whole lot. What do you think about the new Nvidia 460 that came out this month? I haven't really heard a whole lot about GPU development lately, is there anything you think would be worth waiting for? Or do you not foresee a whole lot of improvement over whats out anytime in the next year? MY problem is that I always wait just a little bit too long. I usually try to keep my GPUs for about 2 years. I got my DX9 Nvidia 7 series cards, great for DX9, right before DX 10 came out, and then I got my DX 10 Radeon 4 series right before DX 11 came out, lol. So I dont want to blow a bunch of money for minor improvements, but at the same time I want to have longevity and not have my card become irrelevant within months.

My current card works great for DX 10, but I'm itching for DX 11. I guess now would probably be the time to get into DX 11 so I can use it for a long time though, right?

jarlmaster47

According to windows8news.com windows 8 is expected to come out at the end of next year or the beginning of 2012, so more like 1-2 years.

except that there is a Windows Guru at the best buy where I work and he says that Windows 8 and dx12 won't be out until a couple of years from now due to the fact that Windows 7 has been selling like wildfire. soooo are you going to trust a website or a guy who works for Microsoft. yeah the guy from Microsoft, exactly. answered the question for you

joh06937

except that there is a Windows Guru at the best buy where I work and he says that Windows 8 and dx12 won't be out until a couple of years from now due to the fact that Windows 7 has been selling like wildfire. soooo are you going to trust a website or a guy who works for Microsoft. yeah the guy from Microsoft, exactly. answered the question for you

lol, you mean the employee for best buy? i don't really see how he is an employee for microsoft.

GSAV55

Thats cool, but my question is more about whether or not I should invest in a new GPU or hold off, and if you guys have any suggestions for a GPU.

Anyways, until there is an official statement from Microsoft you cant fully trust either source, they're both based off of speculation. You just didn't provide any documentation in your OP, so I tried googling it. I don't want to start a silly flame war or anything, and I appreciate your input. I'm sure Microsoft needs to make a certain amount of profit off of Windows 7 before they will release the next one to make it worth their investment, like the guy at your work said. If they are selling like wildfire they could cover their investment and make profit a lot sooner than later, and if they have smart economists and statisticians working for them (a company like that would have some of the best), they will tie the development time frame of windows 8 into the profit curve so that they can constantly make consistent profits.

Last edited:

GSAV55

lol, you mean the employee for best buy? i don't really see how he is an employee for microsoft.

lol, I was thinking that too, but I don't work there so I don't know, but it wouldn't surprise me if Microsoft had consultants and/or sales people working in those stores, depending on how many windows pc's that branch sells, it could be a worthwhile investment. But I have no idea.

bomberboysk

As far as the GTX460 is concerned, its the best price/performance card on the market right now(the 1gb version anyhow).

GSAV55

I still prefer the 5850 :p

Although I have been outvoted and persecuted for my beliefs ;)
Well, is there data out that shows otherwise? Why do you prefer that card when so many others don't?

As far as the GTX460 is concerned, its the best price/performance card on the market right now(the 1gb version anyhow).

That's good. I'm just worried/wondering if those two cards will outperform my 4890 or not. Do you guys know if it will, or can you point me in the direction of any data that has those comparisons on it? I know those two cards do DX 11 whereas mine is DX 10 but will my framerates suffer from the 'upgrade' or am I going to get better graphics and same or better framerates?

Thank you for all your help.

fastdude

Well, is there data out that shows otherwise? Why do you prefer that card when so many others don't?

That's good. I'm just worried/wondering if those two cards will outperform my 4890 or not. Do you guys know if it will, or can you point me in the direction of any data that has those comparisons on it? I know those two cards do DX 11 whereas mine is DX 10 but will my framerates suffer from the 'upgrade' or am I going to get better graphics and same or better framerates?

You're going to get the latter option with both those GPUs; With regards to the 5850, some benches show it's better than the GTX460 (1GB) whereas others don't; for me it's a matter of personal preference i.e. I prefer ATi over nVidia and those two cards are [near] equivalents.

The 5850 will whump the 768Meg GTX460, but it does sometimes struggle to keep up with the 1GB version:eek:

Aastii

VIP Member
+1

New DirectX technology comes around far sooner than every 4-5 years

DX9.0 came out end of 2002, DX10 came out at the end of 2006, DX11 came out end of 2009. It seems to always hit the 3-4 year mark

He works at best buy. nuff said :rolleyes:

Actually FROM a Microsoft employee (or ex-Microsoft employee):

http://cid-c673b2ce0e0ec2bd.skydrive.live.com/self.aspx/Public/Roadmap-DRAFT-13.pdf

we may be seeing it as early as July next year

I, personally, would say it isn't worth it. The 4890 is still a hell of a card that will plow through near anything as fast as you like. The 460 would probably marginally out perform it, but enough to warrant the cost of upgrade? I don't think so. I personally would stick with what I have and wait for prices to fall or better cards to come out that give enough performance gain for me to part with my cash

Granite

You also may have to take into account, that maybe your power supply may not keep up with that power consumption since they both consume 158+ on load (not sure) :D

GSAV55

I, personally, would say it isn't worth it. The 4890 is still a hell of a card that will plow through near anything as fast as you like. The 460 would probably marginally out perform it, but enough to warrant the cost of upgrade? I don't think so. I personally would stick with what I have and wait for prices to fall or better cards to come out that give enough performance gain for me to part with my cash

Great response, thanks. Its not just for the performance, but DX11 as well. But I know what you mean. Even if I'm doing it for DX 11 its still not worth it just for a slightly better card, might as well wait a while and get my moneys worth.

And just for random fun, on that website I linked to much earlier on it said that windows 8 is going to come with native stereoscopic 3D support (like at the 3D IMAX movies, and those new TVs). That could be interesting.