Dirt 3 and Steam Question

Hsv_Man

So i am looking to buy dirt 3 on steam but i have checked and the earliest that steam will unlock the game is the 25th. (the release is the 24th in stores) Whats the best course of action I should take, should I walk into a store and pay their exorbitant price tag just to play the game a day earlier or is there a workaround for steam.

epidemik

I don't believe there is anyway to trick steam into letting you play a game "before it's released."

So, I guess it comes down to whether or not it is worth it to you to play the price difference to play it one day earlier. I guess there is a chance that the date on one of your sources is wrong and that it will be fixed so that they indeed release on the same date.

Aastii

VIP Member
Some are saying 24th, some are saying 25th, and some (looks at game.co.uk) even have one date for one version, and one for another.

I don't think there is a work around, but is it worth the extra money just to get a game a few hours earlier?

linkin

VIP Member
Run a proxy like hotspot shield. I played crysis 2 a couple of days early doing that.

I want DiRT 3 but I don't want GFWL ontop of SecuROM on top of Steam. A recipe for a pain in the arse.

Twist86

Steam actually holds off on a few key files to prevent you from playing it. I agree with Linkin with all 3 I wouldn't buy it, those on their own cause lots of problems and I can only imagine all 3 lol. BTW is it just me or is the DIRT series turning into COD? 1 release each year and kinda looks like a reskin each time?

Aastii

VIP Member
Steam actually holds off on a few key files to prevent you from playing it. I agree with Linkin with all 3 I wouldn't buy it, those on their own cause lots of problems and I can only imagine all 3 lol. BTW is it just me or is the DIRT series turning into COD? 1 release each year and kinda looks like a reskin each time?

Except for it was a year and half, not a year.

And except for the fact that unlike CoD, Codemasters have actually updated their engine rather than just reusing the same engine

And except for that, for all that it looks the same, it still looks extremely pretty and not dated at all, is an engine that is actually optimized, and they have actually added content rather than just modify already existing content and mods

Last edited:

Hsv_Man

So i have now found out I can get the game for $45 as a dvd same price as if i was going to buy it on steam which one in your opinion do you think is better the electronic buy/download or the physical Dvd/case option?

russb

So i have now found out I can get the game for $45 as a dvd same price as if i was going to buy it on steam which one in your opinion do you think is better the electronic buy/download or the physical Dvd/case option?

If you buy the physical one do you still have to go through Steam if so dont matter which one does it,being the same price.:)

Hsv_Man

If you buy the physical one do you still have to go through Steam if so dont matter which one does it,being the same price.:)

Yes it still has to go through steam. I just thought having the physical disk would be easier as i can store it and it will always be there. Which wouldn't be the case if i had a hdd failure and had to download all my steam games again.

russb

What happens if you lose or damage the disk mind you i dont like Steam anyway.:)
Why not do a back up of your computer then you will safe,unless you damage that disk,hahaha.

Last edited:

Aastii

VIP Member
Yes it still has to go through steam. I just thought having the physical disk would be easier as i can store it and it will always be there. Which wouldn't be the case if i had a hdd failure and had to download all my steam games again.

As russ said, you can either back up your entire system, or, just back up your steam games so you don't have to download them again. To use a current game you have installed as an example (it works with all of them):

Go to your Steam library, right click an installed game and click Backup Game files.

you can either do it in one, single file, or if you wish to back it up to CD/DVD, it will split it into different files.

To then reinstall, just put in the first part, and it will be like installing any other game that has more than one installation disc - just swap when it tells you :)

Hsv_Man

What happens if you lose or damage the disk mind you i dont like Steam anyway.:)
Why not do a back up of your computer then you will safe,unless you damage that disk,hahaha.

As russ said, you can either back up your entire system, or, just back up your steam games so you don't have to download them again.

So i went this way ^ purchased off steam (preloaded) and when the time comes when the game is downloaded i will just burn it to disc and have a hardware copy of the game.

I'm just curious who else has bought this game and has it preloaded i absolutely loved Dirt 2 the cars, soundtrack and graphics the developers are saying that Dirt 3 is a step up on that. I hope this game lives up to the hype everyone is giving it. :)

Aastii

VIP Member
So i went this way ^ purchased off steam (preloaded) and when the time comes when the game is downloaded i will just burn it to disc and have a hardware copy of the game.

I'm just curious who else has bought this game and has it preloaded i absolutely loved Dirt 2 the cars, soundtrack and graphics the developers are saying that Dirt 3 is a step up on that. I hope this game lives up to the hype everyone is giving it. :)

Yes. It doesn't have to be on a DVD though. You can keep them stored on a hard drive, internal or external, USB device or any other storage media, just whichever is most convenient and the best option for you

linkin

VIP Member

I loved it too, but the unskippable intro videos combined with non-working GFWL meant each time you start up the game you can't skip any of the annoying videos. The game also had too much off-road and not enough rally, if you get my meaning. Never liked the racing trucks as they handle like their centre of gravity is 20m below the ground :p