Display Issues

twitchtwice

3 years ago I built my first computer. I built it, turned it on no problems. Now I try and build another one and I have nothing but problems. Now I'm sure this isn't the first time you guys have heard about this problem but I just finished building it and when I turn it on nothing happens on the screen.

I have tried re-pluging the cpu power. and all those little things to try to troubleshoot and nothign works for me.

I have the new 9500 phenom, 4 gigs kingston 6400, 8600gts, msi 790fx, ocz 700w

If you guys have any other trouble shooting tips it would be great. Its late and i wont be able to sleep until i get this shit up and running. Hopefully there is someone surfing this forums right now.

nexolus

Double check that the card works in a different computer? Make sure the monitor works. Also check and see if the power is plugged in to the GPU.

twitchtwice

Ill try that, but knowing that all that stuff is brandnew except for the monitor makes me believe it can't be the GPU thats messed up unless i just ended up with some shit products.

Is there a distictive noise that you hear when the processor its running, is there a way to tell if mine isnt working properly without an image on the screen?

oscaryu1

VIP Member
The Phenom does not work on a AM2 boards with a CMOS flash, no matter what AMD says. TomsHardware had an article about it. Only the ASUS boards could flash and get by. The other ones? Fail.

Take out one stick of RAM at a time.

Try using onboard video.

twitchtwice

So the motherboard that matches my processor doesnt work. How are they able to sell that? I tried taking the ram out and leaving one in and that didnt work. Will the computer not run if the processor isn't installed. Wouldnt that tell me if there is somtthing wrong iwth my processor?

Also i have my old harddrive that has ubuntu 7.10 left on it, would that cause my computer to not display an image because of a bios confusion?

oscaryu1

VIP Member
Sorry for the rather late response (school...)

So the motherboard that matches my processor doesnt work. How are they able to sell that? I tried taking the ram out and leaving one in and that didnt work. Will the computer not run if the processor isn't installed. Wouldnt that tell me if there is somtthing wrong iwth my processor?

Also i have my old harddrive that has ubuntu 7.10 left on it, would that cause my computer to not display an image because of a bios confusion?

I'm not sure if it will work or not. Google it (www.google.com). Does it say AM2+ or AM2?

No, it will not run without the CPU.

I highly doubt any CPU would die. Heck, I don't even believe those "10 year old then die" CPU stories. (Or my P166 would be in the scrap can right now...). Unless you messed with the voltages for the CPU, probably not.

No, the HDD has nothing to do with it.

twitchtwice

Well whats happening is its not posting right. Now where its not posting is what I'm trying to figure out. It could be anything before the video posting which is causing no image to display. I'm going to test my ram. Then ill test my cpu by starting up the comp without it in. The thing thats makng me think its not posting is because there is no distictive mobo beep when I start it up. Normally its the one beep or 2 beep saying the BIOS started properly. If not im just going to take all my shit back and get different brands so I wont have the same problem.

Eternal Rest

Make sure the cable you plug into your motherboard isn't upside down or plugged into the wrong slots. It's a very small cable and can go in the wrong way, so you have to make sure it's the right way.

twitchtwice

Mine is the 20+4 pin and it can only go in one way. Or maybe I just know better making me believe it can only go one way. But I'm at work right now I only had a few hours to look at it today. But I'm running out of tests. I'm giong to just run it with single parts in to eliminate the bad part. Hopefully its something that I can return no problem.

twitchtwice

Well whats happening is its not posting right. Now where its not posting is what I'm trying to figure out. It could be anything before the video posting which is causing no image to display. I'm going to test my ram. Then ill test my cpu by starting up the comp without it in. The thing thats makng me think its not posting is because there is no distictive mobo beep when I start it up. Normally its the one beep or 2 beep saying the BIOS started properly. If not im just going to take all my shit back and get different brands so I wont have the same problem.