Do i really need Win 7 Ultimate

Leenis24

I was wondering if win 7 ultimate was really worth getting over the lesser win 7 OS's. Win 7 Ultimate is like $291 on newegg. will i be missing out on some cool stuff, im going to be building my computer for gaming and general use.

Rit

Ultimate is just over kill for anyone. I don't see anything that is a 'must need', it's more of a 'want'.

Leenis24

you all are a big help. thanks a bunch. im not that stupid about computers if i come off that way, i just like others opinions and advice on things people have experience with. Happy computing

S.T.A.R.S.

banned
You can also buy all Windows 7 versions that come on one DVD disk including the 32 and 64-bit versions.Same for the Windows Vista...
It might cost you a little bit more,but at least you will have them all:D

Shane

Super Moderator
Staff member
ya i think i want the full version though.

Heres a guide showing what you do/dont get in each version of windows 7.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windows-7/compare/default.aspx

To be honest if your just a normal user or even a gamer,You realy dont need anything higher than Home premium, 7 Pro or Ultimate doesnt perform any better than Home premium.

Pro and Ultimate have extra networking stuff i think for businesses which to most normal home users are uesless.

Id recommend is getting the X64 bit version of Home premium.

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
ya i think i want the full version though.

OEM is the full version. It just doesn't have all the fancy packaging.

As far as XP Mode, it's nothing special. It is included in 7 Pro and is simply Microsoft Virtual PC and a pre-loaded copy of XP. Unless you need that, go with Home Premium.

And the only difference between Pro & Ultimate is the ability to change the language you are working with.

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
will i be able to reinstall win 7 oem if i ever need to in the future?

Um, why wouldn't you be able to? You just can't have it on more than one machine.

And if your gonna dual boot XP and 7, install XP first on one drive, then install 7 on another and you won't have any issues dual booting.

Drenlin

Well i have the option to run in Xp mode on Home premium X64...never had to use it though :)

That's different. Home Premium has compatibility mode, but pro/ultimate has a real XP mode. It literally runs the program inside XP, using a behind-the-scenes virtual machine. Most people won't need it, but it is a very awesome feature.

Shane

Super Moderator
Staff member
That's different. Home Premium has compatibility mode, but pro/ultimate has a real XP mode. It literally runs the program inside XP, using a behind-the-scenes virtual machine. Most people won't need it, but it is a very awesome feature.

ah i see :),Well ive never had to use compatibility mode on windows 7 at all,I did in Vista though.

7 is wicked!