does i7-930 only need a cpu cooler?

theBLACKout

so im building a computer and im bought an i7-930. do i really need to buy a better cpu cooler or can i just use the stock cooler? whats ur recommendation? im not going to overclock. whats a good temp anyway? for example, for my laptop, idle is 50C while loaded is 70-80C, it that good?

newgunner

If you don't plan on overclocking then the stock cooler is perfectly fine. Laptop cpu temps are almost always higher than desktops. Someone can correct me if i'm wrong but I'm pretty sure that's normal for a laptop.

bkribbs

If no one posts back in an hour, once my encoding job is through, I will check my temps. (I am on a laptop)

joh06937

yes you should be fine on the stock if you don't overclock at all. not sure what the temp max for the i7-930 is specifically but temps shouldn't get above around 55-60 C. again, that is more of a general range. i'd try the stock cooler and see what temps you get.

spynoodle

yes you should be fine on the stock if you don't overclock at all. not sure what the temp max for the i7-930 is specifically but temps shouldn't get above around 55-60 C. again, that is more of a general range. i'd try the stock cooler and see what temps you get.
Yeah, if you have at least halfway-decent airflow in your case the stock cooler should be fine. For me my max load is around 75C, although if I load my C2Q it gets up to around 77C since it's in a media center.

Hsv_Man

The stock Heat sink fan is fine thats all i use the TJmax of any i7 is 100*c but i wouldn't recommend going over max 80* i invested in some arctic silver 5 for my build instead of the nasty stuff intel supplys with its heat sinks. Something to think about there for you

Remeniz

Pretty much been said already here.

Ensure that there's air entering the case with an exhaust at the rear; this goes without saying, and the stock cooler is actually ok for small over-clocks that don't require any Vcore increase. I was running 3.5Ghz on stock HS while my TRUE got lapped.

Microtomer

I use an i7 930. At the same time I purchased the processor i bought another heat sink but just installed the stock fan.

Stock has been fine and I have yet to put the new heat sink in.
I idle around 37-40, but the room its in is consistently in the mid to high 80s.

After playing a game like starcraft 2 or portal the temp is never above low 50s.

explorerD

if you dont overclock and your still getting high temps with stock fan, you should try using thermal paste like artic silver 5.