Domain & Network Setup Question

dannaswolcott

Hey all,

I am going to be setting up a network with a basic server for a local church. The server is going to run Server 2003 enterprise. Anyway, There are 5 windows XP workstations that will be connected to the domain. Non wireless and the work stations are in different rooms. We purchased a new wireless n router a long with 2 network switches. Whats the best way to set it up? I know how to program the domains and such, But I am not sure how I am going to connect it all to the main router. any hits tips or ticks would be great. Thanks in advance!

tractorboy

My Church tried wireless. It is a church from the 50's, concrete everything..no way to run cat5. This is my opinion...if it's not too late and you can ...run cat5. Wireless now adays is a headache...just the neighbors alone around the church that have wi fi , wi fi toys, transmission towers of other radio signals. Somedays it works somedays it does not. Most routers only put out a 3mw signal. You can buy 1,2,3 wat transmitters.
I would set it up to use wpa encryption and mac tables, first I would get them all on the network before any security is applied...do not use WEP.

fmw

Wireless is fine for a home installation. You don't want to do that to your church. Since you don't know what you are doing, I'd suggest you get a local company to come in and wire the place. I've been doing networking for almost 30 years and I know better than to wire a building myself. The pro's have equipment to test the installation. Let them do what they do.

dannaswolcott

Wireless is fine for a home installation. You don't want to do that to your church. Since you don't know what you are doing, I'd suggest you get a local company to come in and wire the place. I've been doing networking for almost 30 years and I know better than to wire a building myself. The pro's have equipment to test the installation. Let them do what they do.

We have all ready ran cat5 cables, Just working on the server & domain end now.