dont want to boot off RAID array

celsdogg

i have a media server. i use an old 30gb hdd for an OS drive, and i have two new 250GB Seagate SATA drives that i want to use in a RAID 1 array. the motherboard support raids using the VIA VT8237 RAID controller. Award BIOS and VIA RAID Console.

i have been able to enable the raid and setup the array, through the RAID console, but when i try to boot, instead of going to the OS, it tries to boot from the array. the array is only meant for media files, no OS.

the 30GB OS drive is set as the first bootable hdd in the BIOS, and i have tried setting the HDD's as the first boot device, second after Optical drives. and vice versa. but no matter what, when the SATA drives are connected and set to RAID as opposed to IDE, it tries to boot from the array. if set to IDE it boots fine, but i have two 250GB independent hdd's.

anyone have any experience with this or suggestions?

Last edited:

The_Other_One

VIP Member
In the BIOS there should be an option for boot order. The RAID is probably set to a higher priority than the other drive.

He said the boot order is set so his 30gb drive with the OS is the primary boot device, yet it still tries to boot to the RAID array first.

celsdogg

yup, boot order is set properly. the HDD's in the array are formatted, but there boot sectors are empty (as is the entire drive), so it wont boot from them. it tried but it says missing operating system blah blah blah.

any other ideas?