double hard drive question

ok well.... i had my computer and then something went rong. my hard drive got messed up and now i cant use it. it says like read disk error when i try to go on it. so im going to get a new one. my computer guy told me that i should get 2 smaller hdd like 40 gb and set up windows on one and my files on the other so that if i got a virus it wouldnt go into my files. is this true? what kinda hdd should i be looking for if i wanted a setup like this. i want the computer to be fast. its a gaming computer. im probally going to get 1gb ram. also... do you have to have the same type of ram in the slots? like say i already have one 512 stick in 1 out of my 3 slots... would i be able to buy 2 new 512s and put them in the other 2 slots without them beuing the same brand and have a gig and a half of ram? what type of ram do you guys recomend for a decent gammer?

suprasteve

you don't need two different drives, just partition one and most likely no virus on your OS will mess with your files. All you really need is a 7200 rpm hard drive with a decent cache (like 8mb). You can buy a 160gb one for pretty cheap. You can put any combination of any size of ram in your mobo as long as the mobo supports the size. Basically the only thing you need to look at is the frequency of the memory, all the sticks will run only as fast as the slowest one. For gaming, the lower the latency the better, but the more expensive too, so it's a tradeoff. You should probably also read the stickys in this section of the forum as well

fade2green514

personally, i put windows on my 120gb and all my files (videos, mp3s, iso images) on my 250gb. i have all my programs except my games stored on my 120gb as well.
this way, i can randomly do a reformat and basically be back to brand new by the next day.
i duno, thats what i prefer. a 74gb raptor would be nice to put my games on though... lol

spkenn5

noissesboyobyalp said:
ok well.... i had my computer and then something went rong. my hard drive got messed up and now i cant use it. it says like read disk error when i try to go on it. so im going to get a new one. my computer guy told me that i should get 2 smaller hdd like 40 gb and set up windows on one and my files on the other so that if i got a virus it wouldnt go into my files. is this true? what kinda hdd should i be looking for if i wanted a setup like this. i want the computer to be fast. its a gaming computer. im probally going to get 1gb ram. also... do you have to have the same type of ram in the slots? like say i already have one 512 stick in 1 out of my 3 slots... would i be able to buy 2 new 512s and put them in the other 2 slots without them beuing the same brand and have a gig and a half of ram? what type of ram do you guys recomend for a decent gammer?
hey thats what i have right now =] 160 for OS and 40 & 40 for files =) jus in case stuff happens

i want to get the double so that if anything happens to my os hdd (like it get corrupt or something) then i still have all my files on another hdd that is still good. i dont have that mutch money to spend on hdds or ram so. i know the raptor is probally alot of money.what 2 40 or 2 60 gb hds would you guys recomend for my gameing computer? also about the ram... what gig of ram do you guys recomend thats cheep and works good?

icemakr

Instead of a second drive, do a full backup on dvd-rw's
If your not overclocking just get some value ram or something

icemakr

you should be able to find a 250Gb sata or sata II drive for just over $100, or at least get a ata-133 if your mb can run it

icemakr

The raptor will be able to access information way faster, hence the lower seek times. I have some of that exact ram and I havn't had any issues with it.