downloading speed really slow???????

racer13fly

I have AT&T basic DSL, and on the website, it says up to 768kb/s. My average download speed is about 70kb/s. I went onto speedtest.net, and it said my download speed for the closest location was over 650kb/s for download, and over 300kb/s for upload. I tried New York, Chicago, all about the same. I tried Korea, Russia, and Japan, a little lower, but still over 600kb/s on download.
So here's the pretty annoying part: Why when I download things (games, patches, etc.) it only goes around 65-80kb/s. And that's also with microsoft.com downloads, too, not just smaller sites that would probably be slow. This has been getting pretty annoying. Why is it doing this? How do I fix this? Please help!
Thanks!
(and my computer is connected wirelessly to my router, which is connected directly to my modem, and my computer is directly above the router. And my Xbox 360 and another computer are both connected directly to the router through ethernet cables, and no difference. I even tried connecting my computer directly to my modem, no difference.)

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Those speeds are about what you should be getting with that speed from your dsl company. Wireless will always be slower than if you were to hook up directly with ethernet cable.

racer13fly

Those speeds are about what you should be getting with that speed from your dsl company. Wireless will always be slower than if you were to hook up directly with ethernet cable.
I said I tested it with it connected directly to he modem, and there was no change

PabloTeK

ISP's use a different measure of speed to browsers. ISP's use bits whereas browsers use bytes, there are 8 bits in a byte so the speeds aren't actually wrong, divide the ISP speed by 8 to see if it tallies with the browser.

mcutra

re

I sugest u test ur speed at speakeasy.com/speedtest that will tell u with what speed u should be downloading after the test ok