Driver help?

dustman

Hello,all,

I wasn't sure where this should have been posted. I bought a used HP Compaq DC5850, dual core, 64bit, running XP Pro, and I have everything set but 1 item. I have a single yellow question mark in the Device Manager on PCI simple communication adapter. The ven and dev numbers are: 8086 29d4.

Of course, installing the driver through the Driver Wizard results in nothing. When I look for the driver online, other than Intel, not one site agrees on what it is. I am told it is a sound card driver, a VGA driver, a network driver, and an Intel Management Engine Interface or an Intel Management Interface.

Windows XP has several Intel sound card drivers (all virtually identical) and not one of them works. There are many sites that supposedly have the driver (probably not the right one), but all of them insist on you signing up, giving them all of your personal information, and then trying to sell you their (probably incorrect) driver.

I have gone to HP and Compaq support for the drivers, and neither supports this computer. HP show a good pic of it, but has no downloads for it. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated, I am at my wit's end here.

Thanks,

Dustman

GaryCantley

Pci simple communication device usually refers to a dial up modem. And if thats the case then you need this driver.

Or, if the modem is redundant remove it from the PC.

Keep it safe though, never know when someone may ask for them and they are expensive now. £26 two weeks ago for one of my customers :eek:

dustman

Thanks for the responses

Hello, johnb35 and GaryCantley,

Thanks for the responses. I went into the device manager and installed the Intel modem driver, it didn't work. I don't think it's a modem since the driver ven and dev numbers were 8086 (which indicates Intel) and 29d4, which indicates one of the following drivers: aucio, Video, or management interface.

I am attaching a pic of the device manager.

Thanks again for your responses.

Dustman

Attachments

• MVC-002S.JPG
    MVC-002S.JPG
    36.1 KB · Views: 224

tremmor

thats the error i always get also. ive tried everything to. don't have a clue and im watching. tried all drivers right click update and nothing ever changed. then don't know what it is. everything works though.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Remove the dial up modem from the sytem and see if the entry in device manager goes away.

dustman

Thanks again

Hello, again, johnb35, and hi tremmor,

You got me thinking about that dial-up modem thing, everything on the computer works perfectly, I get to the internet through both ethernet and wireless, both of which are working fine. I tried to install the Intel modem driver and I continued to get the conflict, and I HATE the big yellow question marks in device manager, so I tried a generic Lucent modem driver, it went right in, no more yellow question marks or exclamation points. I would never use the dial-up modem anyway, so hopefully, case closed! LOL

tremmor, what brand is your computer? Most manufacturers provide free driver download, all you need to do is type in HP, or Compaq, or Dell, etc, and driver support, enter your model number when the page opens, and it will let you download what you need. For some strange reason, neither HP nor Compaq would give drivers for this hybrid combo machine.

Anyway, thanks again, johnb35!

Dustman