drivers for Ubuntu Linux?

Darthaus

And within the confines of your little mind, you are really ignorant enough to believe that Microsoft could not figure out that an ignorant person like you would try that...............

The software will work on a local level, has a three day timer that will expire in three days, or as soon as you try to enter the activation code and motherboard serial numbers that are already stored at in MS servers.

How do I know this? I am running 4 active versions of win-7 and have formatted and reinstalled all of them multiple times..............

That does work you idiot. Why don't you try it before you say something.

Also voyagerfan99 has a job. I would know since I work with him from time to time. Guess what our jobs are? Computer technicians, in other words we know what we're talking about.

Double-Aces

banned
That does work you idiot. Why don't you try it before you say something.

Also voyagerfan99 has a job. I would know since I work with him from time to time. Guess what our jobs are? Computer technicians, in other words we know what we're talking about.

So what you are saying in effect, is that I am wrong, and that this user can install a previously used copy of win-7 that he got from the college where he works. Then he changed the story to it's a new update copy. Again, I reiterate, that this user needs a full copy of win on a new motherboard. I know what works and does not, because I have done it all, many times. Everything that I have here works better and faster than when it was new, because I tweaked it. And you can not change that fact. Try numbnuts.

You want him to get aggravated, so you can show him how wonderful a free copy of linux is, and how evil MS is. Again every idiot thinks that they are a genius.

As I said this user has two choices on an OS, buy a full win-7, or download a krappy free OS, and play Alien Arena like the champs here.

Next

Darthaus

So what you are saying in effect, is that I am wrong, and that this user can install a previously used copy of win-7 that he got from the college where he works. Then he changed the story to it's a new update copy. Again, I reiterate, that this user needs a full copy of win on a new motherboard. I know what works and does not, because I have done it all, many times. Everything that I have here works better and faster than when it was new, because I tweaked it. And you can not change that fact. Try numbnuts.

You want him to get aggravated, so you can show him how wonderful a free copy of linux is, and how evil MS is. Again every idiot thinks that they are a genius.

As I said this user has two choices on an OS, buy a full win-7, or download a krappy free OS, and play Alien Arena like the champs here.

Next
Responding to you is pointless but I must say something.

Yes I am saying you can install it with a previously used COA. Not that it matters in this thread since he never said it was previously used.

Double-Aces

banned
Responding to you is pointless but I must say something.

Yes I am saying you can install it with a previously used COA. Not that it matters in this thread since he never said it was previously used.

It does matter, an upgrade edition will not activate on a new Motherboard. An upgrade is for when you have an old motherboard that has had it's serial number registered in the MS database. I've done it, if you use the wrong disk for a computer, it will not work. If you use the right upgrade disk, it activates automatically and you do not even need to enter the program number, as the software already picked up a registered motherboard number.

The fact is that you are clueless. Now go play Alien Arena some more boy.

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
It does matter, an upgrade edition will not activate on a new Motherboard. An upgrade is for when you have an old motherboard that has had it's serial number registered in the MS database. I've done it, if you use the wrong disk for a computer, it will not work. If you use the right upgrade disk, it activates automatically and you do not even need to enter the program number, as the software already picked up a registered motherboard number.

What makes you think Microsoft maintains a database of mobo serial numbers? :rolleyes:

What makes you think Microsoft maintains a database of mobo serial numbers? :rolleyes:

Dude, it's common knowledge that MS reads the serial numbers off of system hardware components...................

During activation

Activation is performed with a utility supplied with Windows and Office called the Activation Wizard. It can be performed either over the Internet or by telephone.[1] When activating over the Internet, the Activation Wizard automatically transmits and receives verification data to and from Microsoft servers, completing the process without any interaction by the user.[11] Activation by telephone requires that a user and a Microsoft agent verbally exchange activation information. In this case, an installation ID is generated, which is then be read to the agent. The agent verifies the information and replies with a confirmation ID, which is then typed into the Activation Wizard.[11]

The Activation Wizard generates verification data primarily based on information about hardware in the computer. In Windows XP, information about the following eight categories of hardware are included:[5]
Display adapter
SCSI adapter
IDE adapter
Network adapter MAC address
RAM amount range (e.g. 0-512 MB)
Processor type and serial number
Hard drive device and volume serial number
Optical drive (e.g. DVD-ROM)

The verification data is also based on the product key entered during activation. In some cases, the product key is checked against a list of known illegally distributed keys.[12]

Certain retail copies of Windows and Office sold in certain countries classified as emerging markets have geographical activation restrictions, which only allow the user to activate the product within the indicated region.[13]

[edit] After activation

If activation completes successfully, the user can continue to use the application without any further issues or impediments. However, if activation is not performed within the grace period or fails because of an illegal or invalid product key, the following restrictions will be imposed on the user:
In Windows XP, Windows Server 2003 and Windows Server 2003 R2, after a grace period of 30 days, the operating system cannot be used at all until the activation process is completed successfully.[14][15]
In Windows Vista, after a grace period of 30 days, the operating system will boot only into a reduced functionality mode. The reduced functionality varies based on whether the operating system is simply out of grace or has undergone a failed activation. In the former case, built-in games and premium features like Windows Aero are disabled, and the system is rebooted every hour; in the latter case, certain premium features are disabled and some content is not available from Windows Update.[16][17]
In Windows Vista SP1, Windows 7, Windows Server 2008 and Windows Server 2008 R2, after a grace period of 30 days (60 days for Windows Server 2008), the operating system will add a text message in the bottom-right hand corner of the screen stating that the copy of Windows in question is not valid, set the desktop background to black, allow only critical and security updates to be downloaded from Windows Update and give periodic reminders to activate the operating system. However, the operating system otherwise functions normally.[16][18][4][19][20]
In Office XP, Office 2003, Office 2007 and Office 2010, after a grace period of 30-60 days for Office 2010, opening the program 25 times for Office 2007 and 50 times for Office 2003 and XP, the programs will enter a reduced functionality mode, where files can be viewed but not edited.[21][22][23][7][2]

When activation takes place, the program saves a record of the verification data in the user's computer. If the system is booted up with significant hardware changes, the application will likely require reactivation to prevent the same copy of the program being installed on two different systems.[24]

Enjoy playing yer Alien Arena on yer linux krappy CPU's..............

Chow

onipar

And you are dumb enough to buy an upgrade edition of windows 7 to run on a new motherboard............Dude, you just flushed a hundred bucks down the toilet.

Chow

No, no I didn't. I'm a professor at a college. The disk cost me six bucks (teacher discount). On top of that, the IT guys there told me they usually DO work for fresh installs, they just weren't sure for Windows 7 because they just got them in and haven't tried yet.

So worse comes to worse, I install the six dollar upgrade on my current computer.

Chow.

Darthaus

You spelled "krappy" wrong, it's "crappy".

In regards to:

You are entirely false. If you install Windows with any disk you always have to enter the COA to activate it. I know as I have to install Windows almost every day for my job

onipar

A little update:

I ended up going with Ubuntu. I figured out pretty quickly that exe files don't work at all, and none of the disks that came with my hardware are usable, which I guess is fine?

I wonder if there is anything I should check within ubuntu to make sure I have all current drivers, bios, etc? From the early posts my understanding is I don't have to worry about it, and it'll be automatic, but I want to be sure.

Also, anti virus programs are not needed with ubuntu? If so, can you recommend one?

Thanks.

wolfeking

banned
Anti virus isn't really needed in Ubuntu. There are programs out there, mainly on Ubuntu server to keep it clean when downloading files to windows systems.

If there are any drivers you need that are not included in the install, check under system -> Administration -> hardware drivers.

salvage-this

A little update:

I ended up going with Ubuntu. I figured out pretty quickly that exe files don't work at all, and none of the disks that came with my hardware are usable, which I guess is fine?

I wonder if there is anything I should check within ubuntu to make sure I have all current drivers, bios, etc? From the early posts my understanding is I don't have to worry about it, and it'll be automatic, but I want to be sure.

.exe is an exicutible file for windows only. .deb files will act about the same for Ubuntu. The drivers that you are trying to install is for the windows system and are not usable in Ubuntu at all. No worried though. Ubuntu has it's own drivers. The only one that you may need to download is the GPU driver. You can get an open source version in hardware drivers in the administration tab or you can try to find it from the manufacturer.

Generally the only thing that I get apart from the GPU driver is the restricted extras. It is the codec pack for a lot of audio files and dvd formats that can not (legally) be shipped with Ubuntu.

You should be able to get it by typing in
Code:
sudo apt-get install ubuntu-resricted-extras

Also, anti virus programs are not needed with ubuntu? If so, can you recommend one?

Not necessary. I never used one but if you really feel you want one here are a few options.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Antivirus

onipar

Thank you for the quick replies.

There *was* some kind of "update driver" option that came up automatically (I think it's the one you are referring to, wolfeking). There were two things there, both for graphics, but neither worked. I forget exactly what it said, but they were unable to install.

I'm not sure if it's related or not, but when I check system view, under "graphics" it says, none, or undetermined, or something like that. I guess it could be because I don't have a dedicated GPU for this system.

Thanks for the info and links, salvage-this. Before I packed the computer away for wrapping, I did search the apps thing on Ubuntu and downloaded that ClamAV program. I guess it just seemed weird to me because compared to other virus scans I've used, it was extremely low-profile. I probably just have to learn how to use it effectively.