Dual core to Quad core

Andyhoog

is there a way i can get my laptop that has a dual core, to a quad core.. and how much would they charge me aprox..?? im desperate because my laptop only has dual core but i work with programs like Sony Vegas, after effects cinema 4d and they ask alot of my laptop and my dual core cant handle it..

PLEASE HELP ME :(:(:(

Troncoso

VIP Member
It's more trouble then it's worth...just my opinion. You'd be better off getting a new computer.

Though, to roughly answer your question, it technically is possible, but you'd be charged a lot...

jonnyp11

mobile cpus are expensive, and i'm guessing it would be a ton of trouble installing, and you'de also have to find one that is compatible with not only the socket but the mobo itself only supports certain cpu's in prebuilts.

Linux

Make sure it is CPU intensive. Some programs are slow because they need more physical and/or virtual memory. Also defraging your hard drive may help. If your laptop is SATA then you could try a solid state hard drive.

When you are using the programs, right click on the Taskbar and select "Start Task Manager". The bottom of that window will show you the CPU usage. You could select the program from the list (under "Task"), right click on the program, then select "Go to process" and look under CPU. That will truly tell you if the program is CPU intensive, or if another process is (Windows services, security suites, viruses, spyware, adware, hackware, other programs, etc.)

If it truly is the programs you are using that is hogging the CPU, and shutting down other programs and Windows services doesn't work, then your best bet is to buy another laptop. The problems trying to put a quad core into a dual core supported board are:
  • the cost of CPUs is high
  • the entire laptop must be disassembled and reassembled (labour costs)
  • and not all dual core supported motherboards support quad core processors.

Hope this helps.

accessoriesguy

i don't know anything about your computer or chip size so I can't tell you exactly but if your talking about like core2duo to like core2quad, yeah that wont be happening.

Plus if you had that much power on a laptop it would eat your battery power so fast and produce so much heat. The first gen i7's were the first quads on laptops that were actually stable, although not recommended for their power consumption, they were pretty underclocked running under 2.0Ghz on all windows laptops.

Second generation i7 processors are much better and acceptable at running quad cores. I recommend if you really want a more powerful computer, you might as well save up and upgrade to a new computer, than spending a lot to upgrade the processor. But still be limited by RAM SATAII and motherboard.