Duel Booting

GOA-E

Hey,

I have a computer with XP written to the whole disk, I'm looking to install the latest version of Ubuntu from a live CD. Can I resize the XP partition in the Ubuntu installer?
If so, How? And more info i should know?

Thanks,

GOA-E

Sean89

Hey,

I have a computer with XP written to the whole disk, I'm looking to install the latest version of Ubuntu from a live CD. Can I resize the XP partition in the Ubuntu installer?

Thanks,

GOA-E

Just boot from the live cd, when you get to the partition section just take your time so you dont install ubuntu onto the entire hard drive

Bodaggit23

Hey,

Yes, you can resize the partition, but do it before you run the installer.

This will let you shrink your current partition so you can create a new partition and fully install Ubuntu if you wish.

Boot from the Ubuntu live disk and click on System, Administration, Partition Editor.

ubuntu810alpha4-large_009.jpg

eckx

Hey,

Thanks,

GOA-E

Why dont you download the wubi for ubuntu? Its more easy. plus you can easily allocate the space you want for your ubuntu install.

Also you can mount the ntfs drives on ubuntu, so u can access your windows files.

spynoodle

Yes, you can resize the partition, but do it before you run the installer.

This will let you shrink your current partition so you can create a new partition and fully install Ubuntu if you wish.

Boot from the Ubuntu live disk and click on System, Administration, Partition Editor.

ubuntu810alpha4-large_009.jpg
Whoah, how did you get that partition editor option? I spent an entire night one day trying to find an Ubuntu program to resize my dual-booted Windows partiton, and any that I did find were pretty much useless and did absolutely nothing but tell me that I can't resize everything. Is that option only available in Gobuntu or something?

Bodaggit23

Whoah, how did you get that partition editor option? I spent an entire night one day trying to find an Ubuntu program to resize my dual-booted Windows partiton, and any that I did find were pretty much useless and did absolutely nothing but tell me that I can't resize everything. Is that option only available in Gobuntu or something?

Ubuntu has had it on the live cd since version 7.

Maybe before that, I'm not sure. That's the first time I used it.

It will wipe the whole drive, including your C: partition, if you let it.

Last edited:

tlarkin

VIP Member
Try it out in a virtual machine first, and then if you need the extra performance you can dual boot. Virtual box is a free VM suite that will allow you to run Linux as a VM no problem.