DVD not recognized by BIOS

toshiyori

Using a "Remote" DVD drive via USB, I cannot get BIOS to recognize this drive. I want to create a duel boot, one being XP the other Linux. The laptop DVD drive is kaput, so I use a remote drive.

Method9

Sometimes when I try to boot from an external USB DVD drive the BIOS won't recognize the drive right away. I circumvent the problem by booting into Windows and allowing the drive to spin up for a few seconds. Then, when I restart the computer the drive becomes recognized in the BIOS.

I suggest trying to fiddle with the USB drive so that it spins up before powering up the computer and going into BIOS. Hope this helps.

What John is getting at is that on some older computers the BIOS never had an option to boot from a USB device. If the BIOS has not received an update to add this feature since then, you are stuck.

toshiyori

Thanks, I'll give that a try. First I want to update the BIOS, I have no idea how I'll do this so I'll go to the internet and look around. I know the BIOS is Phoenix.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Your best bet here would be to replace the bad dvd drive as most likely OEM's aren't gonna make a bios that will allow it to boot to dvd. Off hand, what laptop is this? Make and model number please.

toshiyori

Believe me, that is what I want to do. However, I cannot get the old DVD drive out, please note my post in: "Laptop and Smartphones" "Removing DVD", last post: 1/10/11. I have gone through a dozen or more recomendations from internet sources including ACER. The blasted thing wont move. So, I chose to try this route as per this post. Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Take it to a computer repair shop and not best buy/geek squad and have them take it out if you can't figure it out.