Dvds Memory

ke_742

banned
Ok i want to copy a dvd and then i ran into this prob. I read somewhere that most people compress the dvd file then burn it to the blank disc beacuse the movie was too big for the dvd-r. So obiously im guessing that the dvd-r's that you buy in the store have alot more memory then the ones we buy.... But that didnt make complete sence to me because then wouldn't there be bigger dvd-r's memory we could buy or is it just to expensive.... Or is it that some people buy such cheap dvd's that they only hold like 4.0 gigs and im guessing that the ones u buy in the store have like 4.4ish gigs. I don't know what to belive...

Yeti

VIP Member
Most recordable DVDs are single layer which hold 4.7 GB while most movie DVDs are dual layer. There are dual layer writers and media available but the last time I checked the media was something like $10 a piece.

Yeti

VIP Member
Not all dvds are dual layer.. Actually the main feature is always on one side
What? Are you talking about dual layer or dual sided... there's a big difference

robina_80

most dvd movies are dvd 9 8.5gb so what i do is shrink it to dvd 5 4.5gb i use Nero burning rom its good sh1t

fultz

Most dvd's which are created at the factory are printed on a double layer dvd which are compressed onto one side so that the movie is actually over 8GB. There are dual layer media but most of it is around $10 right now as it is relatively new as Yeti said. They are working on HD-DVD and Blu-Ray media which, im sure, in the future will be available for recording, the price of all media under it will probably drop. Eventually the price of dual layer dvd's will drop anyways even without the HD-DVD's release and such but it will take a little bit of time.

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
There are dual layer writers and media available but the last time I checked the media was something like $10 a piece.
That and people have a tendency to burn at max speed ... lol which is phoolish enough as it stands ... but with expensive media ...

Not all dvds are dual layer.. Actually the main feature is always on one side
Those DVDs are double-sided, not double-layered :)

most dvd movies are dvd 9 8.5gb so what I do is shrink it to dvd 5 4.5gb I use Nero burning rom its good sh1t
Shrink+Nero is good for most people although some movies require some additional trickery now :)

Most dvd's which are created at the factory are printed on a double layer dvd which are compressed onto one side so that the movie is actually over 8GB.
Uh if you have two layers of overlapping data and physically mash them then you get one layer of mashed data. What happens is the pressed discs are actually DVD9 ... which arent available to consumers as of yet