DX10 may be possible for XP

Geoff

VIP Member
If any of you remember when news about Vista and DX10 were out, you would remember that Microsoft was saying how Vista + DX10 would improve gaming quite a bit, and how it would not be possible to have DX10 on XP because Vista had a new Windows Device Driver Model, and virtualization features.

Heres the good news, Microsoft's goal was to require all DX10 compatible video cards to reach this goal, although nVidia's 8 series never could implement virtualization (ATI's r600 does), so Microsoft told nVidia and everyone else that virtualization technology was optional, so now there is nothing thats actually preventing DX10 being used on XP, and it would be completely possible to do so.

The only reason we dont see it is because Microsoft wants everyone to upgrade to Vista. But who knows, we can all dream that Microsoft will release DX10 for XP.

Dropkickmurphys

its just another part of Microsofts "scam" to get everyone to move to Vista lol.

like when they released Halo2 PC, Vista Only, like WTH!?

Jughead

banned
[-0MEGA-];707081 said:
If any of you remember when news about Vista and DX10 were out, you would remember that Microsoft was saying how Vista + DX10 would improve gaming quite a bit, and how it would not be possible to have DX10 on XP because Vista had a new Windows Device Driver Model, and virtualization features.

Heres the good news, Microsoft's goal was to require all DX10 compatible video cards to reach this goal, although nVidia's 8 series never could implement virtualization (ATI's r600 does), so Microsoft told nVidia and everyone else that virtualization technology was optional, so now there is nothing thats actually preventing DX10 being used on XP, and it would be completely possible to do so.

The only reason we dont see it is because Microsoft wants everyone to upgrade to Vista. But who knows, we can all dream that Microsoft will release DX10 for XP.

So your saying with my 8800GTS 320MB card cause it doesnt have viirtualiztion technology so I wont be able to use DX10 on windows XP?

Geoff

VIP Member
So your saying with my 8800GTS 320MB card cause it doesnt have viirtualiztion technology so I wont be able to use DX10 on windows XP?
It has nothing to do with your card, you cant use DX10 on XP. It can only be used on Vista.

Jughead

banned
[-0MEGA-];707108 said:
It has nothing to do with your card, you cant use DX10 on XP. It can only be used on Vista.

I was commenting on what you said if DX10 could be used on XP my videocard wouldnt be able to do it but you said the R600 could I was just clarifying.

Geoff

VIP Member
I was commenting on what you said if DX10 could be used on XP my videocard wouldnt be able to do it but you said the R600 could I was just clarifying.
Oh no, I was saying that because nVidia never got virtualization on their DX10 cards, the Microsoft made it an optional feature for DX10, and that the R600 had virtualization built into their cards. But because DX10 doesnt require it, then theres really nothing holding it back from being available on XP, I just dont think Microsoft will release it for XP, at least anytime soon.

Jughead

banned
[-0MEGA-];707179 said:
Oh no, I was saying that because nVidia never got virtualization on their DX10 cards, the Microsoft made it an optional feature for DX10, and that the R600 had virtualization built into their cards. But because DX10 doesnt require it, then theres really nothing holding it back from being available on XP, I just dont think Microsoft will release it for XP, at least anytime soon.

Oh ok cool I hope they do release DX10 on XP at least within this year cause I really dont want to upgrade to vista already tried it and I dont like it.