e6420 no mic

SpringWater

Hi,
The other day I tried using skype on my dell e6420 and I was unable to get the microphone to work. It did not show in the skype settings. I looked in the recording devices window and it was also not there. Device manager doesn't show the internal mic either. I am assuming this is caused by a missing driver, however I already tried installing all the dell audio drivers for this laptop and none of them seem to help. Please help.

The laptop is running Win 7 pro 64bit by the way.

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
You're looking for something along the lines of an IDT Mic Array or similar.

I would also double check the BIOS for an audio option. Not sure if there is an option, as I haven't scrolled through the BIOS on my E6420 in some time.

SpringWater

Thanks, I'll look at those and see if I can find anything. I purchased the laptop as a "refurbished" product on newegg, and I'm pretty sure whoever was re-installing windows on it didn't install that driver. It's also missing the fingerprint driver, even though the laptop has that device installed in it.

SpringWater

I checked the bios and the microphone device is enabled, so I'm assuming that's not the cause of the issue. I will try searching for more drivers...