Electric Bill

viatical08

I just got my first gaming desktop today. Previously I used a craptop. I need to leave me desktop on overnight to bot on my game...I want to leave my desktop on all night, possibly every night to do this. How much could this affect my electric bill? And can it cause unnecessary wear on a certain piece of my hardware?

If it matters, here are my specs:

3570k @ 4.4ghz
660 ti 3gb
8gb 1600
wd black 500gb
rosewill 650w

Last edited:

wolfeking

banned
First off, read the rules. we can not help with torrent related issues. Best to just not mention them, even if they are legal torrents.

Next up, you will not damage any component running it constantly for months at a time. As far as the parts are concerned, and temps are good, 1 day is the same as 1 second and 1 decade is the same as 1 hour. As long as power comes in, they will work, minus any normal wear and tear that all systems have.

As far as the charges, going from our bill here, it would be $7ish to run full load all day for 30 days. You likely will not notice the increase at all.

swchoi89

I just got my first gaming desktop today. Previously I used a craptop. I need to leave me desktop on overnight to bot on my game...I want to leave my desktop on all night, possibly every night to do this. How much could this affect my electric bill? And can it cause unnecessary wear on a certain piece of my hardware?

If it matters, here are my specs:

3570k @ 4.4ghz
660 ti 3gb
8gb 1600
wd black 500gb
rosewill 650w

Dude... you better explain this "botting" as it is ILLEGAL in most games, especilaly in RPG.

Because of people like you, good RPG games often get ruined too often because of botters.

Dude... you better explain this "botting" as it is ILLEGAL in most games, especilaly in RPG.

Because of people like you, good RPG games often get ruined too often because of botters.

Or does he mean like bots for TF2? SRCDS allows bot hosting for empty servers for players to play against until the server fills up.

Okedokey

Dude that's cheap, here in Aus we get charged 30+ cents per kwh.

Nonsense.

...published in November 2011 (see AEMC (2011)) shows average household electricity prices for the year ending June 2012 of 24.8 c/kWh

Without the carbon tax, (e.g. every year before that), it wouldve been closer to 22c/kWh

Last edited:

jonnyp11

Love that nobody has said anything about the rosewill psu and a 660ti, although a few of their lines are actually quality parts, but most are still trash

Okedokey

Love that nobody has said anything about the rosewill psu and a 660ti, although a few of their lines are actually quality parts, but most are still trash

The reason I didn't mention it is because that PSU is completely fine. Not great quality, but even if it only provides half the rated power it will be fine.

Secondly, assuming that the computer draws 350W from the wall that will be $28 per year at 9c/kWh.

Last edited: