Emachines W2888 Wont Boot

cyclones9

My cousin gave me his Emachines W2888 Desktop to fix because he though the power supply burnt out after a power interruption. When I opened the case and plugged the power supply in, the motherboard green light comes on and thats it and it will stay on until the power cord is unplugged:confused: . I tried a old power supply from my aunts old gateway computer and the fan will spin for a split second and stop and the green light will stay on until you unplug the power supply. Do you think I need a new power supply? Or what do you think it is? I ordered a StarTech ATXPOWER250 ATX 250W Power Supply from Newegg. The power supply can be found here:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817707003

Please help me with to get this machine to boot up.

THANKS! :D

AdmnPower

VIP Member
well if you've tried a different power supply and that didn't work either, it's a deinfate possibility that in the midst of this "power interruption" the motherboard was fried by some sort of power surge.

cyclones9

Re:

Ok.. I just ordered a new power supply from Newegg.com that matches the same requirements for my computer as the old one and If that doesnt work, im going to take it down to the local repair shop and see if they cant find out whats wrong with it. Is there any sign that I can spot that somethings wrong with the Mobo or what?

OvenMaster

VIP Member
Well, if the computer doesn't boot up even with a new power supply, that'd be a good sign it's the mobo that's dead. Friend of mine had his eMachines PSU fry the mobo. Blew out the keyboard and mouse along with the motherboard.

daisymtc

Well, if the computer doesn't boot up even with a new power supply, that'd be a good sign it's the mobo that's dead. Friend of mine had his eMachines PSU fry the mobo. Blew out the keyboard and mouse along with the motherboard.

That's why people buy expensive quality PSU:D

AdmnPower

VIP Member
indeed, the power supply is the worst thing you can cheap out on as it can take down your entire computer.

cyclones9

Re:

When I get the PSU and it still doesnt work, Can someone give me some info. or a link where I could get a new mobo that will be compatible with the stuff I have in the computer now... How hard is it to put a new mobo in?

Thanks

OvenMaster

VIP Member
If you want to be able to use the eMachines restore discs, you'll need to get a new mobo from eMachines. A "W" model means Wal-Mart. A new mobo from eMachines is $160 and is out of stock.
http://parts.emachines.com/emachines/moreinfo.asp?product_id=69100
Another brand of microATX board will probably work, but you'll need a new copy of Windows to go along with it. eMachines recovery discs only work with the board supplied with the machine.

cyclones9

Re:

I took my comp. down to the local tech guy and he said my power supply was fine but my mobo burnt out which means I need a new one. Can someone help me find a new mobo that doesnt cost much and that will fit with the specifications below....

CPU: Intel® Celeron® Processor
(2.80GHz, 400MHz FSB, )
Operating System: Genuine Microsoft® Windows® XP Home
Monitor: eView™ 17f Monitor
(16" Viewable, 0.27mm dot pitch)
Chipset: Intel® 845GV chipset
Memory: 512MB DDR
Hard Drive: 80GB HDD
Optical Drive: CD-RW/DVD Combo Drive
Media Reader: 8-in-1 digital media manager (Secure Digital™ (SD), Smart Media, Compact Flash, Micro Drive, Memory Stick®, Memory Stick PRO, Multimedia Card, USB 2.0)
Video: Intel® Extreme Graphics integrated
Sound: AC '97 audio
Network: 10/100Mbps built-in Ethernet
Modem: 56K ITU v.92-ready Fax/Modem
Peripherals: Standard keyboard, 2-button wheel mouse, amplified stereo speakers
Dimensions: 7.25"W x 14.125"H x 16"D
Weight: 22.5 lbs (PC only, no packaging)