Enlighten me about video cards

TMGL&L

Okay, I know these questions are vague and newbish but everyone has to start somewhere right???

I use adobe flash, photoshop, illustrator, indesign, and a few other fat graphic ddesign programs on my laptop (Acer Aspire 5630). Though I love my laptop it doesn't have the muscle to use these programs to there fullest or simultaneously... It probably doesn't help Either that I connect a 22" Samsung to my computer.

I also plan to start learning some 3d programs in the near future.

I am going to build my first computer in the next few weeks I want to learn everything I can about computer hardware. The subjects I know least about are video cards and motherboards.

I'm looking to buy a single decent video card...Not a peice of junk but nothing special either.

My first line up of questions are as follows...
1. Could sombody link me to some good deals on video cards (affiliates this is for you!)...And what about these selections makes this a good deal...

2. I was told ram is similiar to video card memory is this true? how, in simple terms, does a video card work?

3. What do I look for (specs) when searching for video cards?

4. What are the top brands, which should I chose, and why?

5. What should I watch out for when looking for video cards? (tricks, junkie brands, common problematic issues, etc.)

Justin

VIP Member
1. www.newegg.com if you're in the USA.

2. hehe. maybe someone else can enlighten you about this. :eek:

3. the correct interface(PCI-E, PCI, or AGP) if it'll be compatible with your motherboard, number of stream processors, clock speeds (memory and core), memory size, amount of power needed to make the card run.

4. Nvidia and ATi/AMD are the top 2 manufacturers in the market.

5. maybe someone else could enlighten you on this too. :eek:

elitehacker

2. I was told ram is similiar to video card memory is this true? how, in simple terms, does a video card work?

Umm, yes in a way that is true. Graphics cards have became so sophisticated now, you can think of them as a computer dedicated to graphics. The GPU is the central processing unit for graphics output and the video card memory is like the system RAM, where the textures and models of the characters and environment of the game is stored. The speed and performance however far exceeds the performance of DDR 2 or even 3 system ram with DDR4 already starting to appear in high end cards. Furthermore they are usually optimised so they work faster than system RAM. There are exceptions of course, low end budget graphics usually have video card memories that have similar performance to system ram or integrated graphics "steals" or reserves part of the system RAM for graphics. But for most mid to high end graphics, the graphics memory is usually better than system RAM.

Like system ram more does not necessarily mean better, the graph of the amount of RAM to increased performance looks like a Log graph. It increases alot in the beginning and it just flattens out as you increase more and more RAM. In other words, the performance difference between 256MB and 512MB is different to a 1GB and 2GB card. I would have to say the optimal is around 512MB to 1GB, anything over 1GB would be overkill.

cohen

5. Have alook a newegg and have a look at the reviews of the product before buying it. Also lost a link To it on the forum and the members will give you their opnions!

What is your budget? We Might be able to suggest you a good video card.

Also can you pls tell us your motherboard so we can make sure it will match

Candy

He said he doesnt know much about motherboards and that he is looking to build in the next few weeks so he wont know what his motherboard is yet.

And he has a laptop now so he wouldnt be able to put a GPU in that anyway.

Last edited:

Tuffie

I've found that ATI cards perform much better with CAD and digital designing programs.

I'm going to say: SIF SIF SIF SIF SIF SIF LIES.

Also if I were you, I would probbably be going for something out of the 8 series, my dad is using cad quite comfortably on a 9600GT.

Candy

What manufacturer you go with is mainly personal preference, sure one might be slightly better then the other but it usually changes when new cards come out so it wont make much of a difference which brand you go for. It just depends on how much you want to spend on the video card alone.

jdbennet

yeah a video card is just like a PC

it has its own CPU, RAM, whatever
it is basially a pc dedicated to handling graphics functions

TMGL&L

5. Have alook a newegg and have a look at the reviews of the product before buying it. Also lost a link To it on the forum and the members will give you their opnions!

What is your budget? We Might be able to suggest you a good video card.

Yet again, as correctly assumed earlier in the conversation, I don't know much about motherboards either. I'll be starting a new thread for that conv in the motherboards forum today or tomorrow some time also.

I'm looking to make a desktop here, not to attempt improving my laptop. Some of my goals with this computer are as follows:

1. Put together a nice system for $700'ish dollars (peripherals included, mouse, keyboard...)
2. Learn tons about computers (I'm figuring building one is a good way to do this.)
3. Use photoshop, illustrator, and some 3d programs to their fullest somewhat easily.
4. Play decent quality music and DVD's while I work through my 5.1 surround sound system.
5. Someday (this year or early next year) setup up three 22" panels.
6. choose easily overclockable hardware......and learn how exactly overclocking works.

TMGL&L

budget...

I want to make the best computer I can under $650 to $700 I know that might be a tight budget to some but thats what I got and I can use every penny...And hopefully no more.

So my budget is flexible and the division of these costs are pretty much up to you guys. (Does this information help.)

I know we are in the vid card forum or graphics card forum (w/e I figure that one out later) but should I buy a sound card for this thing. I heard that any sound card is better than none. Is this true? I'm interested in better sound quality than my laptop. Not necesarily top gun or anything but better than what I have now.

Synesthesia

Why would I lie? Huh? Tell me that. I have no reason to lie on this forum. My old ATI 1850 pro performs BETTER at goggle 3d sketchup and photoshop than my 8800GT!!!! I have many friends that have also had the same experience.