Ethernet HUB-hardware without firewall, need help!!

dansilva

I have a 'Netgear Wireless ADSL Firewall Router DG834G', quite frankly I am not a fan of hardware firewalls at all. Now I am considering a change, a hardware without a firewall. I have a Standalone computer so no networking needed. I am thinking of buying either a HUB or Swtich. I did some research on HUBS & Swtches and if i am not mistaken here that either hardware do not have a built-in firewall (whereas routers have built-in firewall). This is the kinda hardware I am looking for, because it doesnt have a built-in firewall. So the bottom line here is I want a device that connects to Internet (via ethernet cables, STRICTLY NO USB) and connect to computer without filtering any data. I am very well aware of what harm it could cause without a firewall but please do not take that into any consideration.

This is the HUB I have in mind to buy... "3Com OfficeConnect Dual Speed Hub 8" or Similar Switch.

Secondly will these hardwares stayed connected during reboot of the cumputer. In ADSL Modems usually you have to manually connect to internet during each reboot where as in routers hardware connection stays connected and after a reboot you can just go into internet without any problems.

All answers & helps are much appreciated. Thanks!!!

tobywuk

not sure what you are after here, but it sounds like a router. With most routers you can normaly turn off the firewall, and set it so all packets and ports are directed to one IP address on your network, and you just make this IP the one of your computer.

If you turn your computer off, the router will stay connected to the internet as long as you leave the routers power and, and its pluged in to the phone socket.

tlarkin

VIP Member
First off don't buy a HUB they will slow your network down since a hub broadcasts to every port. A switch will do just port to port broadcasting and a switch is cheap these days. You can get a decent 5 port for probably 25 dollars, or less even.

Also Hardware Firewalls > software firewalls, so I am not sure why you would not want to run a hardware firewall.

Just add a switch into your existing netgear router, and if you really want to turn off the firewall telnet into it and do so. However, I advise against that.

dansilva

First off don't buy a HUB they will slow your network down since a hub broadcasts to every port. A switch will do just port to port broadcasting and a switch is cheap these days. You can get a decent 5 port for probably 25 dollars, or less even.

Also Hardware Firewalls > software firewalls, so I am not sure why you would not want to run a hardware firewall.

Just add a switch into your existing netgear router, and if you really want to turn off the firewall telnet into it and do so. However, I advise against that.

Hello everyone thanks for your replies.

To start with I do not have a network, its only a single computer. So I assume with a HUB it will just send all data through one port with no filtering i.e no firewall. Basically as I menstion earlier I only have a single computer, no netwroking just need a device connect to internet (via ethernet cables, NO USB) other than a modem but must NOT have built-in firewall. This is why I exclude routers because they have built-in firewall. I do understand the consequences of not having a firewall but please do not take firewall case into any considerations.

Secondly what's "telnet" as in not the definition? How do you "telnet" into it?

Thanks you very much for your helps.