External Hard Drive Advice

terpsjohn

Can anyone recommend a relatively inexpensive extrenal hard drive that is also reliable. Probably like 60 or 80 GB? Thanks.

sm100378

Seagate makes the most reliable hard drives. I have an 80gig ex and have no probs whatsoever. Its great and it was cheap.

terpsjohn said:
Can anyone recommend a relatively inexpensive extrenal hard drive that is also reliable. Probably like 60 or 80 GB? Thanks.

DCIScouts

VIP Member
I'd say that if you get a Seagate, Western Digital, Hitachi or Maxtor you'll be doing just fine. Make sure to look at what the cache size is before buying, in that range an 8MB cache would be the most desirable.

DanLatimer

dont buy one!!!
buy an internal hard drive and an enclosure, it'll be cheeper than buying it pre put together

terpsjohn

DCIScouts said:
I'd say that if you get a Seagate, Western Digital, Hitachi or Maxtor you'll be doing just fine. Make sure to look at what the cache size is before buying, in that range an 8MB cache would be the most desirable.

Can you explain cache size please?

DCIScouts

VIP Member
In simplest terms, cache size on a HDD is like RAM for your computer. The more you have of it on a HDD, the faster the seek time is, and the better your hard drive will respond when accessing, storing or deleting data.

youtin

DanLatimer said:
dont buy one!!!
buy an internal hard drive and an enclosure, it'll be cheeper than buying it pre put together

Is it really OK to buy any kind of internal hard drive and then just buy a case? I asked one time and the guy told me it has to be a laptop hard drive. Is this true?

Sorry, I don't know anything about external HDDs..

DCIScouts

VIP Member
@terpsjohn
Yeah, it should say what the cache size is on the box. Most of the HDD's have 8MB, but some have 2MB. Just be careful :)

@youtin
Yeah it should be. Where did you ask this at? Many computer stores don't really have a clue of what they're talking about half the time. It's fun to go mess with them, too :)

youtin

@ DCIScouts

I asked at a computer shop! Grrr... and I thought the guy knew what he was talking about.

Still got a lot of questions about external HDDs so I guess I'll make a new thread so as not to hijack this one.