External Harddrive help

EWC88

Hey everyone, I need some help. My grandfather ia looking at getting a external hard drive to back up alot of his files. We were told by a friend of ours to get a Western digital cause they are the best. My grandfather went on newegg.com and saw some reviews that the western digital had a warranty up to 12 months, and alot of people said after about 14 months they die. So with those reviews he was kinda iffy on the western digital.

So I was wondering if you guys/girls would be able to inform me on a good brand and size he may get? Its really to back up all his files. He was looking at flash drives, but whats the diffrence between those two?

As well, my mother is looking at getting one to back all her files up, thats including pictures and work things. My moms will have more files since she has the pictures, while my grandfather will have alot of writing files to save.

elliot_c

Just get the cheapest? I think most external hard drives are similar but I have had a Seagate for about a year that is okay but then a Freecom one that I dropped onto a carpet at about a 2 meter height that never worked again.

EWC88

Well my grandfather doesn't really want to get a cheap one if its not going last/work. Money isn't a problem with purchasing the hard drive, he just wants something good that he knows will work and not crap out on him.

codeman0013

There is no guarentee that a harddrive wont die tomorrow no matter the brand or age.. I have always had WDD (western digital drives) and have one in a pc now that is 6 years old running like a champ still... No matter what you buy its always good to back it up.. I have 2 drives in a nas that are in a raid thats the only true way to say if one dies you wont loose it it..

Cleric7x9

get a solid state drive and an enclosure for it if money isnt an issue, they are more reliable than any spinning hard drive

matty6660

I've got a Seagate FreeAgent 500GB classic which I've had for about 3 years now and it has worked every single day I've used it. I recommend getting anything from the Seagate brand, they're all good.

EWC88

I'll have my grandfather look into both brands you guys mentioned. I know my questions are probably getting annoying I'm just trying to get the right information and to tell my gpops to right one for him instead of something that may crap out.