External Power Supplies?

tayla13

hey,

Just wondering whether it is possible to buy external power supplys for your pc? places to look and prices would be helpful if they exist.

Thanx tayla13 :)

diduknowthat

formerly liuliuboy
ultra is working on an external 2000watt powersupply, I believe there's a thread on it somewhere in this section. There are also special powersupplies for your graphics cards that fits in 5.25" bays.

tayla13

thanx, i was wondering though if their are just normal power supplys for your pc that are external, i think 2000 watts is just a bit overkill for my lowly system :D . Could i simply get longer cables and run it outside?

help appreciated

jimmymac

VIP Member
you could probably run a modular cpu externally and just route the cables out of one of the expansion bays. Depends if the wires provided are long enough

tayla13

k, its just i dnt exactly have the space needed for a larger power supply, which i need for the graphics, thanx for the help

tayla13

by the way, im maybe sounding like a little bit of a newbie, but whats the difference betwwen a modular psu, and a normal psu?

diduknowthat

formerly liuliuboy
modular PSU's allows you to connect only the cables you need. Normal PSU's comes with all the cables attached.

enermax-liberty-620w-3.jpg

modular

computer_power_supply_300w.jpg

normal PSU

jimmymac

VIP Member
not neccessarily, they are at some pretty decent prices at the mo.

Although can i wonder if this couldnt be sovled in a cheaper and more straightforward way

You say you're looking at an external supply as your upgrading gfx and both won't fit. Is it possible that a change of case might aid the problem instead, you may find that a decent case which gives the room needed works out better and negates the need for messing about trying to make a psu external

Pck21

ultra is working on an external 2000watt powersupply, I believe there's a thread on it somewhere in this section. There are also special powersupplies for your graphics cards that fits in 5.25" bays.

Is there really one's just for the gpu? Can you provide a link to where I can find one? Thanks!

ceewi1

VIP Member
There are indeed external power supplies. Here's one example:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817125001&ATT=17-125-001&CMP=OTC-Froogle

Is there really one's just for the gpu? Can you provide a link to where I can find one? Thanks!
Here's one example:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817153037

Ultra's is internal, OCZs is external

tayla13

i cannot upgrade my case as my pc has a proprietory mobo board, so i will most likely just run a normal psu out the case, or get a proper external power supply

thanx

Bradan

i cannot upgrade my case as my pc has a proprietory mobo board, so i will most likely just run a normal psu out the case, or get a proper external power supply

thanx

can sum1 tell me what he means by "proprietory mobo board"?

ceewi1

VIP Member
can sum1 tell me what he means by "proprietory mobo board"?
Non ATX standard, usually with a different size and/or mounting positions.

If you have a proprietary motherboard there is a very reasonable chance that the power connector is also non-standard, and attempting to plug a standard ATX PSU in could damage the system. Many Dell systems fall into this category. If your system is a Dell, take a look at http://www.endpcnoise.com/cgi-bin/e/std/sku=dellconverter