fan speed?....

xnyjyh

What would be the safest speed for the ATI 4870 card...I have it at 65 right now with an average rpms of 930 - 960.

Should my fan speed percentage be about 16%- 20%?..thats what it is at.

bullzi

The new 8.8 drivers seem to do a good job of adjusting the fan speed automatically on mine. I just let it take care of it..

xnyjyh

yeah i have the new 8.8 driver but temp still at 76-80C on idle!! grrrr

even the fan hack dosnt seem to work. have it at 65

elitehacker

Rivatuner does have limited support for ATi cards, but you are right it is more focused on Nvidia. I generally found that the automatic fan speeds is sufficient.

fade2green514

rivatuner 2.10 does a fine job of adjusting my 4850's fan speed. use rivatuner. it was originally for nvidia cards a long time ago but they fix it for most video cards nowadays.

xnyjyh

ok cool,
I have it now...

So in the power user section theres 2 fans settings

1)-rivatuner\nvidia\fan
-rivatuner\nvidia\current device

2)-rivatuner\fan
-rivatuner\fan\current device

I want to use the the second one without the nvida right?

then which one and what do i use for the setting of fan speed?
theres: autofanspeedcontrol
:externalfancontrollertdetectretry
:minfanspeedlimit

can you please show me how to get 60% fan speed?

Thank you

Calibretto

VIP Member
Wow 40C is nice for the 4870. Those chips usually run really hot.

I ended up just getting an aftermarket cooler for my 9800GT after discovering that it ran at 97C under load!

Stildawn

I set my 4870 at 40% (using the xml) and that keeps it around 35C ish... Although I still want to know if it will go any harder if it requires it lol.

Okedokey

Guys the 8.8 drivers should still be beta. They suck. They are slower but run cooler than the 8.7. I would upgrade to 8.7 and crank that fan up, also make sure your case airflow is good. If you guys are anything like me, you wont hear it when playing as the surround sound/headphones are louder.

Last edited: