favorite netbook OS

Quiltface

I just wanted to get everyone's opinion on their favorite netbook os and why... in particular linux distros but feel free to throw in your 2 cents about any other as well.

Shane

Super Moderator
Staff member
Windows Xp Pro SP2.

Because it ran very well,i was able to play GTA 3 & Age of Empires 3 on my Netbook :)

If i didn't play the above games on it though,Id have probably installed Ubuntu :)

fastdude

Ubuntu is good, and its free, so you can dual-boot a Windows netbook with it. I don't like Windows7 starter, its too cut-down, WinXP is good, and runs smoothly. Don't even mention Vista... My favourite would have to be WinXP :p

Quiltface

i have mine dual booting with xp and ubuntu... and i have to say as i used to be a hater on ubuntu but i like the ease of the netbook version. Im going to give the desktop version another try for poops and smiles. Mandriva was typically my linux desktop of choice but I might switch, I still dig CentOS for servers. Has anyone had any luck installing the netbook version of ubuntu on a desktop with good results, I think it would make a good solution for older people who are not tech savvy.

Drenlin

Ubuntu Netbook Remix has a really good UI...I really like it. It even works well on larger screens!

cliffdodger

It's not so much the distro I worry about as the window manager. Nothing like bringing life to an antiquated system by running blackbox (or fluxbox or whitebox) instead of kde or gnome. You get so much more speed out of any computer with those window managers than with the mainstream one's.

salvage-this

Let me get this straight: The Netbook Remix doesn't use Gnome like its desktop brother? I thought it used a miniaturized version of Gnome.

It uses Gnome it is just has an overlay that makes it easier for laptops. If you log out you can log back in to a regular desktop session and than it is just regular 32 bit Ubuntu.

I tried the netbook remix out and I didn't like it. I just use regular Ubuntu with Cario Dock to make it easier to manage open windows. it's all personal preference though.

lucasbytegenius

Ubuntu is just awesome for laptops though, my Fujitsu LifeBook E6624 still needs its battery replaced, and I installed 10.04 on it, and I swear that battery lasted an hour and a half, compared to 30-45 minutes in XP. But unfortunately mine and everyone else with an E6624 couldn't get standby to work in Ubuntu, which is a real pain, especially as it restricts me from putting it on older computers from before 5-7 years ago. So I got rid of it, but once Canonical gets that horrible bug fixed, Ubuntu is going back on my laptop.

lucasbytegenius

Well, I've got a 10 yr old HD in there that starts at 30 MBs and slows down to 12-14 MBs no matter what I'm doing, so bootup took 15 secs, which isn't bad, but now that I remember, Ubuntu was abominably slow for some reason, possibly the HD it was continuously accessing. This is a 933MHz P3 system with 512 MB RAM, with the aesthetics at minimal, so it shouldn't be that slow. And I also couldn't get the drivers for the ATI M6 GPU, which I suspect was part of the standby issue. It seemed to have the drivers for it already, as I could use the maximum aesthetics if I wanted to, but still I wanted to try and get the drivers to try to see if it would work.

geek0x00

I think that Kubuntu Netbook 10.04 really ROCKS. It uses no double-clicks, and would also perform great for an i386 iPad (if that kind of thing exists). The interface is KDE Plasma netbook, which has an official screenshot:
netbook.png

Beautiful, right?

geek0x00

on my netbook kubuntu NETBOOK runs pretty fast.
Edit: My netbook is Intel Atom 1.66 GHz Dual-core with 200GB SATA HDD and Intel Integrated Graphics. Better than your netbook?

lucasbytegenius

on my netbook kubuntu NETBOOK runs pretty fast.
Edit: My netbook is Intel Atom 1.66 GHz Dual-core with 200GB SATA HDD and Intel Integrated Graphics. Better than your netbook?
Don't have one of dose toys-yet. Have a 933 MHz P3 Fujitsu Lifebook E6624, not a netbook, runs Ubuntu 10.04 pretty good-though I think the 10 yr old HD is a real bad bottle neck. Must fix it.
OS X.. wait, what? :x
OSX86?
Or MacBook Air?