Fedora Core 9

98bishopmal

Hi there,

I have just installed Fedora core 9 on my laptop, I was just thinking what is the difference between the KDE Desktop, GNOME Desktop and XFCE Desktop.

And what one is the best to run?

Cheers

M0LD0V4N

I used Gnome on Gentoo, but switched to Ubuntu, Pain in the ass Compiling stuff in Gentoo... It's just a Matter of taste. Tried Debian, Can't say it's Exactly like Ubuntu, but same stuff like apt-get.

patrickv

Tried Debian, Can't say it's Exactly like Ubuntu, but same stuff like apt-get.

DEBIAN is the main distro bro.
Ubuntu was derived from debian.
same applies to rpm distro's like openSuse and Fedora.
The were derived from RedHat.

The difference lies in the applications and also ease of use.
KDE is bulky and windows XP users will like its style.
Gnome is very straight and simple.
An example application is Amarok.
Amarok is not for Gnome but can be installed.
same applies for KDE.
rhythmbox music player comes with Gnome, but KDE can also use it.

I prefer KDE over gnome anyday.

jmedina

I have been using Linux for almost 2 years. I first tried Fedroa, then I tried Kubuntu with the KDE interface. If you want something that looks really polished, go with KDE. I have tried KDE 4 once and it looks just like Vista. So, I would recommend to go with KDE if you are used to Vista. I like KDE 3 a little bit better though. I noticed it is a little bit less buggy, but that has probably improved since the last time I have tried KDE 4. If you are running opensuse I would recommend to use the KDE interface. I think it depends on the distro but usually I prefer GNOME. After about 3 months of using Kubuntu I gave Ubuntu a shot because of the GNOME interface. I noticed performance increased. I am probably not going to run KDE again. Unless it is KDE 3. GNOME in my opinion is a lot more stable. If you system has low specs I would recommend running XFCE. I have just started exploring XFCE because that is the operating system I am planning to use on my file/print server I am scraping together. It looks sort of like GNOME, but has way less features. Bottom line, If you want something that is completely graphical and has all the "Bells and Whistles" go with KDE. If you want something that is a little less showy go with GNOME. If your system is slower go with XFCE. I am headed more towards GNOME though, but I do not want to start a debate.:)

Last edited:

jdbennet

yeah i like GNOME. It just seems a lot neater, if that makes sense.

If its a system with low specs (128-384mb ram) Debian + Gnome seems to be miles faster than Ubuntu, maybe because gnome is an older version, or it has less services on by defaukt, i dont know.

tlarkin

VIP Member
gnome is a minimalist type desktop environment which has very little icons and most things are access through a menu. KDE is more like a Windows-like environment to give a bit of a comparison.

Under the hood it is all the same so it is just a preference really.

jmedina

gnome is a minimalist type desktop environment which has very little icons and most things are access through a menu. KDE is more like a Windows-like environment to give a bit of a comparison.

Under the hood it is all the same so it is just a preference really.

I agree with that. KDE is more like Windows. Gnome is sort of like mac OS 9, only with way more features.:)

jdbennet

fedora core 9 is also very buggy. It uses a new (experimental) version of kde 4, it may be worth trying another distro which uses 3.x, for comparison